U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 AM

55,137 posts, read 43,954,649 times

Advertisements

[quote=desertsun41;4482722][quote=Mathguy;4482173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

It sounds like we are on the same side when talking about the corrupt govt.

But I dont see much of any govt covering/helping anyone in NO either. Nearly all those people who lost their homes are still living in those 26' FEMA trailers 2 years later. Living with no hopes or promises by anyone. Like they are forgotten about.

What I do see is risk takers, entrepreneurs with some cash going in and making land owners (where homes once stood) offers. These people are offering as little as a few thousand dollars to these FEMA refugees to sell their land to them. To the refugee it is a great deal. They see zero hope of ever seeing one thin dime from FEMA, the crooked govt, or any insurance company. At least the few thousand dollars gives them some hope to move on. But.....some are just taking the money and blowing it. Hey what the hell, they have a free trailer to live in.

I dont think too many of those people had the government offered flood insurance you speak of. I say offered because many of the insurance companies do not write any more flood policies. So the govt developed one that would not refuse anyone. So many of those people were so poor that buying insurance was the very very last thing on their budget list.

I feel for those people. I turned down disaster job by FEMA to go to NO. I was told there was no place to stay. Even today the city is just now starting to seek out electricians and plumbers to take care of infrastructure first. Houses come later. FEMA offered to put up relocating workers in trailers but they were bunking 2 strangers to a trailer. What if you dont get along with the other guy? But we are welcome to bring our own RVs or TTs and get free hookups. It aint for me.
I hear you, there is a very good reason why the government writes the majority of the flood insurance (almost all) and that in and of itself is a whole different topic. Homeowners insurance is highly regulated and is controlled by each states government and I can tell you flat out that the insurance companies treatment of flood claims has decades of precedent and again, they aren't allowed to price for flooding and the people chose not to buy from the federal plan. I do feel awful for them.

This was something like the 28th time NO has flooded since it's founding, me personally, I would never live on a flood plain like that and it will happen again at least once in our lifetimes. Maybe building taller buildings where the first floor or two are parking garages makes sense in an area like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 AM

5,090 posts, read 10,044,464 times
[quote=Mathguy;4490942][quote=desertsun41;4482722]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I hear you, there is a very good reason why the government writes the majority of the flood insurance (almost all) and that in and of itself is a whole different topic. Homeowners insurance is highly regulated and is controlled by each states government and I can tell you flat out that the insurance companies treatment of flood claims has decades of precedent and again, they aren't allowed to price for flooding and the people chose not to buy from the federal plan. I do feel awful for them.

This was something like the 28th time NO has flooded since it's founding, me personally, I would never live on a flood plain like that and it will happen again at least once in our lifetimes. Maybe building taller buildings where the first floor or two are parking garages makes sense in an area like that.
Yeah, almost sort of expected the upper end to figure out that area could be tasty big dollah folks' playground if they left the streets at the level they are, and backfilled all the properties to 10 to 12 feet, let the streets flood and have canals.

Sort of a Venice thing.

At this point, aint gonna happen. Maybe next flood.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,217,218 times
I damned near bought a lot in Waveland Mississippi, a block from the shore, to build a house on, the deal fell through; thank God because the place would have been finished just in time to get washed away.

Anyway I had every intention of buying dedicated flood insurance though the realtor was telling me I didn't need it. But I knew better. Makes me wonder how many people screwed themselves but are blaming the insurance companies.

I'm no friend of the insurance companies either.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,494,944 times
[quote=desertsun41;4481455][quote=Mathguy;4476285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Allstate has yet to pay a New Orleans claim. They just walk away and laugh.

If it was wrong I would not have said it. I am a FEMA inspector on a side kick. I know much more then you have heard on faux 5 news. Trust me.

I know the tricks they play.

Insurer: Your house is flooded but you have no flood insurance. Sorry.

Homeowner: But the flood was caused by the hurricane and I have hurricane insurance.

Insurer: Nope. The flood caused the damage to your home and you have no flood insurance. Sorry again.

Homeowner: But the hurricane caused the flood which flooded my house into oblivian.

Insurer: Sorry your wrong and are not covered. Next?
I'm sorry, but folks DO have to take responsibility for their choices. Here in Texas, there are ads on TV all of the time saying VERY CLEARLY that typical homeowners insurance does not cover flooding and you need to buy flood insurance.

Also, when I purchased or upgraded my homeowners' insurance (with Allstate, I might add), they were very specific about the type of water-damage they cover and explained to me that flooding from a windstorm with heavy rain isn't covered. Any water coming from saturated ground and spilling over is not covered by homeowners policies.

I have had Allstate home insurance for more than 12 years and two claims during that time. I've been very pleased with how they handled my claims and what they paid -- very fast and very thorough. For my part, I MAKE SURE that whenever I upgrade something or remodel, I call my insurance agent to see how it would affect the replacement value of my house and materials. I also increase coverage periodically as house prices and materials increase.

This is what you're supposed to do! My agent told me that, sadly, many people don't and then they whine and complain when disaster strikes and they can't afford repairs with the insurance money. Sorry, but that's NOT the insurance company's fault.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,173,019 times
I live in a hurricane coastal region and everybody knows about flood insurance. from waht I have heard though many flood prone region near teh mississippi river etc have collect time after time for floodin g to the point that the feds want to buy them out ;but they refuse. At some point they should be denied. I have flood insurnace and never used it but you never know just about anywhere.e have had stroms with 20" of rain and never flooded because of great storm sewer system but you never know what is going to happen.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM

55,137 posts, read 43,954,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I damned near bought a lot in Waveland Mississippi, a block from the shore, to build a house on, the deal fell through; thank God because the place would have been finished just in time to get washed away.

Anyway I had every intention of buying dedicated flood insurance though the realtor was telling me I didn't need it. But I knew better. Makes me wonder how many people screwed themselves but are blaming the insurance companies.

I'm no friend of the insurance companies either.
Yeah, you are wise not to listen to the realtor about your insurance needs. They are trying to make a sale and don't want you factoring in the extra 50-75 a month for that.

Most people intentionally don't buy flood insurance as they just dont want to pay for it.

I have heard of several companies where the insurance agent has you sign a letter when you decline flood insurance because when it floods they get sued by all the people for "not telling them they needed flood insurance".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or