U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,201,385 times

Advertisements

my father lives with us and collects ss benefits........a college financial aide form asks whether anyone in household collects ss benefits? how would this impact a financial aid application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,160,013 times
It would determine how much actual income you have. Don't lie about it though. If you do and they find out, it could seriously bite you in the butt.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,093,502 times
Adverse effect. Will be counted as income, afterall you are a grown-up now. I know of no financial aid that you will receive just because you have someone in the home w/ SS.

Of course, I could be wrong!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 AM

486 posts, read 903,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
my father lives with us and collects ss benefits........a college financial aide form asks whether anyone in household collects ss benefits? how would this impact a financial aid application?

I don't know. I would assume it would be counted as income, increasing your financial responsibility if you are still considered his dependent (not sure how old you are).

Definitely don't lie. Had friend lie about his parents being divorced. He only listed his mother's income. They found out and he lost eligibility and owed the government money.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM

83 posts, read 362,353 times
Their income may affect your EFC. But maybe it will affect it in a good way. I guess it depends if someone claims you on their taxes or if you are independent. Sounds like you are independent if your father is living with you.

They might consider that you are spending extra money taking care of him. Who knows. Check the Fafsa website if thats how you are applying. Maybe they have some info. Some websites have calculators that estimate EFC.

You financial aid office might answer your question. But some don't.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM

3,763 posts, read 10,986,229 times
If you are financially independent of him, it will probably be neutral.

I think it was originally designed for situations where one spouse worked, but the other collected SS or SS disability - and their child was applying for aid.

Of - if one of the siblings was disabled and collected SSI - then that would increase the parents ability to pay for college.

Since you are grown and will be paying for yourself, your father's income (though you must report as being part of your household) should not affect your aid.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 AM

3,460 posts, read 5,072,134 times
You might be able to charge him a token amount of rent so he will be a separate household.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,494,944 times
Much of it depends on your tax situation. I'm not sure how old you are or what you mean by "your father lives with you" when it's typical for parents and children to live together. Are you saying that you're an adult? Are you helping to care for your father?

For tax purposes, are you declared as your father's dependent? Or are you an adult who is helping to take care of your father, providing him with shelter, food, and other assistance? If you are helping to support and take care of your father, you need to make this known to the financial aid people. For tax purposes, I believe that if you provide at least half of his support and care, he's actually a dependent and your tax return should reflect this.

Otherwise, yeah, you have to declare all household income but much of it is based on your tax filing. I have a son in college, am disabled and collect Social Security Disability but I don't believe the FAFSA views SS the same as regular income. I'm not taxed on my SS because I don't earn any other money and our FAFSA expected family contribution is 0.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 PM

6,295 posts, read 19,519,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I'm not taxed on my SS because I don't earn any other money and our FAFSA expected family contribution is 0.
Do you have to report it on your 1040 each year? If not, that maybe why the FAFSA form asks for it.

My daughter is entering her sophmore year of college this year. Do not neglect to add that SS amount to your form. They will find out if you don't include it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or