U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,643,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
NYMD67 - thank you for your post. It explains exactly why all of us need strong unions. Why should only the managers and investors benefit from their work? The GM workers are not getting a "free" vacation they are receiving a benefit negotiated for them by their union and agreed to by GM's management. It is a great deal for the workers but the managers did not have to sign the contract.

Hey, a deal is a deal. Now go out and form a union and get such a deal from your employer.

My slogan of the day – “Prosperity for all, privilege for none.”
What about those 20,000 being layoff at GM? What about all of the workers for dealerships that are being closed down? Will they get 85% pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,084,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
What about those 20,000 being layoff at GM? What about all of the workers for dealerships that are being closed down? Will they get 85% pay?
I don't know... not if they aren't represented by the UAW. My point exactly. I also feel for all of the GM employees,retirees,etc..that are going to be hurt by all of this.
My point is that people are saying that the Union had nothing to do with it and although they are certainly not the only contributor,they had a stake in the entire thing.
We could or should all be asking,what about everyone else (outside of the auto industry) that have lost their jobs this year ? ,that have lost their retiree benefits,etc... what about all of them?
Welcome to the real world is what I say, my father worked for the same company for 35 years and do you know what? he basically has not a thing to show for it but a bunch of medical bills because he too has had his retiree benefits taken away.

You cannot continue to pay people 85% of their salary,continue to pay OT,continue to have all of this extra "overhead" and expect that the American people are going to be the ones to "foot the bill" and be happy for it. ESPECIALLY when they are getting paid for being on vacation.
I know that people have said "a deal is a deal",well,deals can be broken,as the rest of the working world has seen all to much these past months.
They need to wipe their UAW contracts clean and start over... eliminating paid TLO's or whatever they refer to them as... eliminate OT pay ,I mean ,what can they possibly be working OT for anyway's???
It certainly isn't because there is huge demand for GM cars these days..

So yes,I feel for ALL of those that are going to be loosing their jobs. I am just really tired of hearing all the UAW people whine and complain when in the end,they are making out... the ones who are being able to keep their jobs. For now.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 PM

41,478 posts, read 52,860,508 times
So long as all the investors, bond holders, banks and managment lose all of their stake as well. What is good for labor is good for managment.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM

6,729 posts, read 19,232,717 times
Hmmmmmmm!!! 85% of a pay period being paid NOT to work...sounds very nice.

Wonder where all that money is coming from?

Wait...I know...the money comes from all the buyers (suckers) of the GM product who have to pay a higher price for the vehicle at the dealer. That explains the few hundred dollar price increases each year. Always wondered why the costs kept increasing to the point that many are unable to afford a GM product and have turned towards an IMPORT.

Shows a person that you never BITE the hand that feeds you.

UAW caused their own headache with the constant demands of "FREEBEES".

Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 PM

369 posts, read 396,821 times
Quote:
So long as all the investors, bond holders, banks and managment lose all of their stake as well. What is good for labor is good for managment.

Im sure the union haters are not complaining that Rick Wagner gets his 20 million dollar golden parachute because it was negotiated as part of his contract?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 AM

22,951 posts, read 23,391,255 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, bit of class envy here?
Please enlighten us as to why the bondholders and other debt holders should lose their "legal" (I know it's a big word) right to collect their stake vs the UAW who has no "legal" (there's that darn word again) standing other than VEBA?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 AM

12,872 posts, read 22,709,865 times
So you're saying it's cool if a CEO runs a company into the ground but makes mega-bucks from his contract when he's fired but it's not OK for unions to want to get paid the way their contract says they are to be paid?

So the union workers are paid too much? Well guess what, so are the CEO's who completely destroy companies under their watch.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:56 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,084,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So you're saying it's cool if a CEO runs a company into the ground but makes mega-bucks from his contract when he's fired but it's not OK for unions to want to get paid the way their contract says they are to be paid?

So the union workers are paid too much? Well guess what, so are the CEO's who completely destroy companies under their watch.
No, at least I can speak only for myself,but I am sure the others will also concur that the Unions are NOT the ONLY people to blame for this mess,of course it is not okay for the CEO's to have been paid what they were paid or continue to get paid,however, it will be GM or the UAW's responsibility from this point forward to be sure that neither the CEO,management or plant employees are being paid over the competetive wage.
Not sure that will happen,but no one is saying that the union is the cause of all of this destruction. It is obviously a combination of many,many factors. Wiping the UAW's contract clear and starting from scratch seems an easy way to eliminate some money though,starting with paid time off for a shutdown.

Last edited by NYMD67; 06-05-2009 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: add correct wording

Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Hmmmmmmm!!! 85% of a pay period being paid NOT to work...sounds very nice.

Wonder where all that money is coming from?

Wait...I know...the money comes from all the buyers (suckers) of the GM product .
Um,

I think the money for their pay is actually coming from you, me and all the other tax payers, we own GM now and are giving them basically free money. If i own the company, do I get an owners discount??

Old 06-05-2009, 02:23 PM

6,729 posts, read 19,232,717 times
Doubt it...they probably will raise the car prices to pay back the Govmt loan with Interest. That was the problem to start with. GM and Chrysler gave in to the Union demands to the point where the money was not coming in and the ripple efect started rolling towards todays fallout.

Like I said...unions cut their own throats...I have NO sympathy for any of them.

Never bite the hand that feeds you today as tomorrow it may not be there.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or