U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,204 times

Advertisements

I will be moving out of CT to NJ (for a new job) and would like to "rent" my house to my fiance. I am the sole owner of the property. If he pays the mortgage for the property will the IRS consider it taxable income? Would the advice change if I were married and my 'husband' was paying the mortgage for my property?
Would it help if I remained a CT resident? I assume that I will return to my property for approximately 2 weekends per month. Is this frequent enough to claim that I am still a CT resident?
Additional information: I have owned (and lived in) the property for 3+ years. The new company is providing corporate housing in NJ. This is a semi-permanent position for 2 years therefore I don't want to purchase a place in NJ until I am sure that is where I am settling. Also my fiance is not moving (quitting his job) until I have settled down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 AM

21,000 posts, read 21,103,742 times
He will be paying rent.

Whether or not it's equal to the mortgage amount is beside the point...it's reportable income to you.
You will be allowed to deduct usual expenses to defray the profit.
However, there are restrictions if you 'use' the property yourself over 10%(? Going by memory here) of the year.
Pull up the instructions for Schedule E and it should give you the information you need.
If you get married he wouldn't be considered to be paying you rent.....your personal use of the property would then be 100%
Disclaimer......double check what I say. I'm a landlord, not a tax expert.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
He will be paying rent.

Whether or not it's equal to the mortgage amount is beside the point...it's reportable income to you.
You will be allowed to deduct usual expenses to defray the profit.
However, there are restrictions if you 'use' the property yourself over 10%(? Going by memory here) of the year.
Pull up the instructions for Schedule E and it should give you the information you need.
If you get married he wouldn't be considered to be paying you rent.....your personal use of the property would then be 100%
Disclaimer......double check what I say. I'm a landlord, not a tax expert.

Thank you Old_Cold. I really appreciate your answer. I'm planning on talking with a tax advisor but I wanted to be educated prior to going into the session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics