U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,901,138 times

Advertisements

Things are getting better now and we will be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,336,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
In the Miami area, it's pretty much the same. As for gangs, they have Team Metro to blackmail you. Anyone who tries to start a business knows what I mean.
I have friends in Little Havana.
It is bad. Still not as bad as a third-world country.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,217,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I bought a piece of land with a white sand beach in the Tela, Honduras area about fifteen years ago. I love it down there!!! It is twenty-five acres. Mostly beach front. This is my "retirement job". I paid $100 per acre in a tax sale. My X-brother-in-law was losing it. They still live there. Someday it will be a resort.
Yeah, unless the locals go haywire some day and pillage the rich foreigners and hang them from the coconut trees. Things like that happen in Latin America, I know, I read B Traven.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,816,848 times
Wow, I can't believe anybody can look at all the headwinds facing the economy and think that everything is getting better. We're firmly entrenched in a downtrend. Today's stock market rally is a classic bear trap. I vote for brighter times ahead, instead of a total collapse, but there's still a lot of air in this bubble.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,761,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Things are getting better now and we will be fine!
Now you say this every time the market goes up or oil goes down.
Do you honestly believe this ? Do you ever post on bad days ?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,807,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I think people who are enthralled with the rise of China and predict the (apparently) related downfall of the US forget one important thing. Without us to buy all their cheap crap at Wal-mart and other discounters, a fairly significant portion of China's export industry goes right into the crapper, right? And today the WSJ reports that the EU is headed south, with Spain's largest-ever single business failure in their history happening on Tuesday, when a construction giant ($17.17 billion firm) filed for bankruptcy.

So we have a market correction in real estate and wall street punishes the finance market that helped create the RE mess, and a bunch of other countries that have been feeding at the teat of American consumerism has to suck it up. I just don't think much has changed...

But I could be wrong....I frequently am...so this is just my $.02...
Well slowly but surely china is heading toward a self sustaining economy where the Chinese people buy there own crap and some of ours. Granted if our economic downturn becomes extremely steep this could derail the rise of their middle class there in the short term. But as we look forward china will grow to become a strong economic power. Followed closely by India and perhaps Brazil. Whether this is good or bad for us remains to be seen.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,267,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, unless the locals go haywire some day and pillage the rich foreigners and hang them from the coconut trees. Things like that happen in Latin America, I know, I read B Traven.
That's what needs to happen in south Florida. Well, unless a hurricane hits first.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM

57,907 posts, read 76,880,876 times
you can't keep writin IOU's and not making good your marker. it guna come up.
big julie is guna come for ya. it will cause him no little social embarrassment. (guys n dolls)

Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,336,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That is why payment is made to the law, and the gangs. I am not kidding.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,833,693 times
How little we read history and learn from the past. We aren't that old in the scheme of things. Major empires still spoken of in high regard today lasted longer and became insignificant backwaters. Is it really impossible that at some point we could face the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or