U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:06 PM

94 posts, read 303,086 times

Advertisements

Are you seeing the irony in all of these market situations? The emerging economies from Asia (China etc.) to Africa (Nigeria, South Africa, Botswana etc.) and Latin America are doing "quite" well. Their economies are not dependent on debt, most are cash basis. Who is having the last laugh now? So, if the economy collapse like most on these forums have been predicting are you willing to move and work in the so called "emerging or third-world" countries? Thoughts? After all, nothing good last forever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,326,496 times
I bought a piece of land with a white sand beach in the Tela, Honduras area about fifteen years ago. I love it down there!!! It is twenty-five acres. Mostly beach front. This is my "retirement job". I paid $100 per acre in a tax sale. My X-brother-in-law was losing it. They still live there. Someday it will be a resort.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM

4,859 posts, read 12,092,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter07 View Post
Are you seeing the irony in all of these market situations? The emerging economies from Asia (China etc.) to Africa (Nigeria, South Africa, Botswana etc.) and Latin America are doing "quite" well. Their economies are not dependent on debt, most are cash basis. Who is having the last laugh now? So, if the economy collapse like most on these forums have been predicting are you willing to move and work in the so called "emerging or third-world" countries? Thoughts? After all, nothing good last forever!
Doing "quite well" for most of those places = living standards of the US in 1950. Get over it, the US still kicks everyones ass.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,006,164 times
Hey, maybe we do need a little kick in the butt and realize we're not the only player... it's good that we have people that are doom and gloomers that keep us on our toes. After all, if we always have a rosy picture and live the "high" life, we wouldn't try harder.

So yea, we are collapsing! but, we're sure as h*#@! going to try to climb ourselves out of this rut.

-chuck22b

Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,262,298 times
I try and tell people in south Florida that this is not the only place on earth. The stability of the US government is why so many people from Latin America came to fill this place. However, I believe that the central and south American continent has more beauty and resources than many parts of the US. When the US economy collapses and civil unrest becomes commonplace, what will be the attraction to come here? We are not the only player and if other countries can get their act together, we may end up with an exodus of people seeking better opportunities.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 PM

94 posts, read 303,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I try and tell people in south Florida that this is not the only place on earth. The stability of the US government is why so many people from Latin America came to fill this place. However, I believe that the central and south American continent has more beauty and resources than many parts of the US. When the US economy collapses and civil unrest becomes commonplace, what will be the attraction to come here? We are not the only player and if other countries can get their act together, we may end up with an exodus of people seeking better opportunities.
My sentiment exactly! A lot of first generation immigrants are beginning to move back to their home country because there are now better opportunities in those countries. Not that we will see a total economy collapse here, but while we have these slow downs, the rest of the world is catching up and we will be relegated to a "has been empire", just like Great Britain.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:02 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,806,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Well I going to stay no matter what. I still do believe in the constitution and I like where I come from. Granted I was born in the general area where the Pilgrims almost didn't make it in 1620. So toughing it out part and working hard is part of being raised as a New Englander.

But your point is well taken. I myself believe that there will be alot of retirees that will be heading south. Heck I met a lot of people that own either a vacation home or time share in Mexico. I think a lot of Gringos will invade that country in the next decade or so.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,326,496 times
It is VERY different in other counties. You have to know how much of a "tip" to give to get anything done. The higher in the government the worse. Give to little, you get nothing done, give to much and they say you think they are a thief. And they are, just do not point that out. If you leave the US, it IS a different world. Then you pay the gangs, and you will. Now that is touchy.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,262,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is VERY different in other counties. You have to know how much of a "tip" to give to get anything done. The higher in the government the worse. Give to little, you get nothing done, give to much and they say you think they are a thief. And they are, just do not point that out. If you leave the US, it IS a different world. Then you pay the gangs, and you will. Now that is touchy.
In the Miami area, it's pretty much the same. As for gangs, they have Team Metro to blackmail you. Anyone who tries to start a business knows what I mean.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 9,689,187 times
I think people who are enthralled with the rise of China and predict the (apparently) related downfall of the US forget one important thing. Without us to buy all their cheap crap at Wal-mart and other discounters, a fairly significant portion of China's export industry goes right into the crapper, right? And today the WSJ reports that the EU is headed south, with Spain's largest-ever single business failure in their history happening on Tuesday, when a construction giant ($17.17 billion firm) filed for bankruptcy.

So we have a market correction in real estate and wall street punishes the finance market that helped create the RE mess, and a bunch of other countries that have been feeding at the teat of American consumerism has to suck it up. I just don't think much has changed...

But I could be wrong....I frequently am...so this is just my $.02...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or