U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 PM

655 posts, read 758,820 times

Advertisements

As someone who still believes today, July 16th was a bear trap, I have decided I do believe there are some bargains. Say what you will about the Feds lies and what not, but when you have Greenspan and Ben coming out on the same date stating FRE will survive and they are not on the brink of failure, I think one has to listen. This coupled with FRE dropping some 90% from it's highs, who can resist? This stock should be trading in the mid 20s right now and investors are starting to realize this now.

I picked up a few thousand shares to hold very long term as I think the stock will trade sideways for a few quarters. However, once earnings are back in line over the next 12-18 months, this stock will see a steady and consitent climb back towards $30. These oportunities are VERY rare folks. The entire US, is backing this company and squashing all rumors of it's failure. Lots of people who can ride it out are going to make a killing on this stock. I also bought and added 1500 shares to my daughter's college fund. If this stock goes to where I believe it will in 3-4 years, I might not have to open my personal checkbook to pay for her tuition.

This oportunity is staring you right in the face, right now. You probably only have this week to get in at the lowest points. They only come about once every 10-15 years. Buy it and ignore it for 2-3 years, you will be pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 PM

19,114 posts, read 20,689,920 times
Good luck... I will wait for the other mortgage crisis to pass (Alt-A loans, etc. etc.) and see what happens... I doubt Freddy will survive.. I suspect it will be merged with Fannie in the end... Freddy and Fannie basically do the same thing, why should the government set up 2 companies that do the same thing, it would terribly inefficient and redundant.. Its like having 2 Departments of Agriculture or 2 Department of the Interior.. waste of money and it will be soon recognized by taxpayers for what it is.. but good luck anyway...

Old 07-17-2008, 04:33 AM

21,000 posts, read 21,131,055 times
We've been agonizing all this week as to whether or not we should try to mitigate our loss somewhat by buying at least 1/2 the number of shares we already own.....not enough guts to buy equal the number.
In Vegas we at least got free drinks while gambling

Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 AM

9,043 posts, read 11,829,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
As someone who still believes today, July 16th was a bear trap, I have decided I do believe there are some bargains. Say what you will about the Feds lies and what not, but when you have Greenspan and Ben coming out on the same date stating FRE will survive and they are not on the brink of failure, I think one has to listen. This coupled with FRE dropping some 90% from it's highs, who can resist? This stock should be trading in the mid 20s right now and investors are starting to realize this now.

I picked up a few thousand shares to hold very long term as I think the stock will trade sideways for a few quarters. However, once earnings are back in line over the next 12-18 months, this stock will see a steady and consitent climb back towards $30. These oportunities are VERY rare folks. The entire US, is backing this company and squashing all rumors of it's failure. Lots of people who can ride it out are going to make a killing on this stock. I also bought and added 1500 shares to my daughter's college fund. If this stock goes to where I believe it will in 3-4 years, I might not have to open my personal checkbook to pay for her tuition.

This oportunity is staring you right in the face, right now. You probably only have this week to get in at the lowest points. They only come about once every 10-15 years. Buy it and ignore it for 2-3 years, you will be pleased.
$90 billion in capital and $5 trillion in mortgage obligations and not enough money in the gov't coffers to bail them out?

I'll pass. But thanks anyway for that hot stock tip .

Old 07-17-2008, 08:06 PM

655 posts, read 758,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
$90 billion in capital and $5 trillion in mortgage obligations and not enough money in the gov't coffers to bail them out?

I'll pass. But thanks anyway for that hot stock tip .
FRE is not going anywhere, at least for the near term. Bought in the 5's now trading in the mid 8's. Sorry you missed the ship, it has already set sail. This stick will trade at or very near $20 by year's end.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:22 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,752,646 times
I have to agree with your choice. I sold some Monsanto as I bought it several years ago and did very well and bought some Fre at $5. The government is backing it so why not. I am still young, nothing but time to wait.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 AM

3,460 posts, read 5,075,710 times
I'm watching the ship sail by......

I know there's a lot of bargains out there, but I won't have money to buy them for another month.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 AM

323 posts, read 1,931,612 times
Like with anything else...yea, it's a great deal if you're comparing it with the previous highs, but you can't look at that...

If you do have some extra cash laying around....I do think it's a pretty calculated gamble...with the govt being behind it.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:57 PM

4,933 posts, read 6,979,888 times
ouch!!!

nationalization = wipe out of share holder equity.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,813,660 times
So, are the folks that posted here saying they bought big still holding on to their shares or did you guys bail ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics