Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:34 PM

6,882 posts, read 11,220,533 times

Advertisements

This woman says she has been approved and is getting this done. What I object is the LOW INCOME - I mean, she owns the home FREE & CLEAR and it's worth conservatively $400,000 (court records show it higher).

She has $200,000 in bonds and lives off the interest!! This to me is NOT low income. Of course, she only got $18K from interest last year so I guess she thinks she falls into low income.

She is 74, no kids, single.

I HATE THE WHINE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,822,154 times
She also has social security and probably qualifies for a lot of social programs...

Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Smile Actually

She has never worked in the US and thankfully, does not receive social security. Thank God for that.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,725,409 times
Bet if you look it is federal money the program is administered thru the sate of Florida.Just like the maney that is supposed to go to people in NO is hungup at teh sate level. The guy is caharge for Louisana is already under federal investiagtion about legal use of teh money pre ferderal law.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,694,803 times
I can see her point - 18k will just about cover property tax, utilities and grocerys. If I tried to live on that little I would accept a new roof if offered.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Smile But...

Her total in bonds is $200,000
Her home is worth at least $400,000 - free & clear

No kids.

I know she's single but sounds like she's got some assets.

The woman is so cheap she goes to a neighbors every morning for a cup of coffee. (So she doesn't have to pay).

Old 07-18-2008, 01:31 PM

5,861 posts, read 11,895,889 times
Assets do not equal income. I have a friend who is living off of her assets, but her actual income is low. She qualifies for, and has taken advantage of several government programs targeted at low income people. I see nothing wrong with this - it's equal opportunity. If the program was written to take into consideration only a person's monthly income and not their net worth - you shouldn't hold it against anyone who qualifies and applies. Heck, if I was eligible for anything the government was handing out, I'd darn sure take it!

If you don't like the fact that she is eligible for this grant, you should write your congressman and let them know you think that eligibility should be based on net worth and not income.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
Default Free money ??

Can anyone tell me where to go to get to where the author "Kevin Trudeau" says he got $253 in 15 seconds and $1500 in only 1 minute? I think that because he is selling the book for what : $29.95 but says he not making even one cent? IF thats true and he really is doing it for a public service to help us get thru the recession: then why doesn't he tell us LIVE where to go or provide it for no cost at all on some website? I'm thinking there must be something wrong with his claims.
Thanks !
Good Spirit to you~ ~ !

Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Assets do not equal income. I have a friend who is living off of her assets, but her actual income is low. She qualifies for, and has taken advantage of several government programs targeted at low income people. I see nothing wrong with this - it's equal opportunity. If the program was written to take into consideration only a person's monthly income and not their net worth - you shouldn't hold it against anyone who qualifies and applies. Heck, if I was eligible for anything the government was handing out, I'd darn sure take it!

If you don't like the fact that she is eligible for this grant, you should write your congressman and let them know you think that eligibility should be based on net worth and not income.
so that is what we have come to- everybody is willing to take, take, take from a government that is actually broke.

if this woman has a 400,000 dollar house she is a lot better off than renters in this country who are subsidizing her. all of these programs put our country further in the hole, robbing the next generation. i guess some people think it is okay to steal from their children and this woman thinks it is okay to steal from someone else's children. there is no such thing as free money, although the government seems to be telling us otherwise.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM

37,113 posts, read 42,133,047 times
Sometimes the people administering social programs don't really know or care what they are doing because as long as they are handing out money and funding projects they can justify their existance and get even MORE $$.

My parents live in a senior community of single family homes. They know people who could be the subject of the OP, people who are seniors but not poor, who own their homes, yet who qualify for things like a new roof, new furnace, new water heater, etc. through various social programs aimed at senior citizens. Even my mom is appalled by some of the things people get away with. It's a shame really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics