Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:15 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

I just heard about this and I am just fuming at this point.

A client of my husband's, an elderly woman, needs a new roof for her home. She owns the home FREE & CLEAR worth at least $400,000.00. She carries no homeowner's insurance b/c she owns the home FREE & CLEAR.

She has a green card. She gets income from bonds, that's it.

Apparently, the county she lives in gives money for new roofs! SHE IS GETTING ONE!! WHY!!!

If this was me, I would not be getting one!

AND, the woman feels she is entitled to this. Totally entitled. Only lived in the US for 14 years.

This is what's wrong in the country -SHE OWNS THE HOME - get the money from the equity! Oh, no, gotta go to the government - it's free, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
That's incredible, they will not help my low income parents at all, in fact they steal money from them!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Entitlements is just plain old theft... and because it is theft, it is never fair... although social liberals may ... I mean "will" disagree...

Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 33,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Entitlements is just plain old theft... and because it is theft, it is never fair... although social liberals may ... I mean "will" disagree...
I hope you are also referring to the entitlements of corporate welfare; the entitlement programs of the super rich given to them by the neocons in Congress and the White House: No-bid government contracts (Blackwater ring a bell?), FEMA black budgets, and tax breaks to off-shore American jobs, and leveraged debt to do corporate buyouts - and billed to the "little people" who pay the taxes.

Jacqueline S. Homan,

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-17-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I just heard about this and I am just fuming at this point.

A client of my husband's, an elderly woman, needs a new roof for her home. She owns the home FREE & CLEAR worth at least $400,000.00. She carries no homeowner's insurance b/c she owns the home FREE & CLEAR.

She has a green card. She gets income from bonds, that's it.

Apparently, the county she lives in gives money for new roofs! SHE IS GETTING ONE!! WHY!!!

If this was me, I would not be getting one!

AND, the woman feels she is entitled to this. Totally entitled. Only lived in the US for 14 years.

This is what's wrong in the country -SHE OWNS THE HOME - get the money from the equity! Oh, no, gotta go to the government - it's free, you know.
Likely HUD funds. The will put a lien on her house, it has to be paid back before any transfer. Check with your counties. There are different names for the programs.
Mildand county is the housing commission. I work with them all the time.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
What county does she live in? I'd be interested to find out more about the program that you're referring to. I might be able to tell you why she's getting the roof.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Free Roof

Broward County, FL

No lien

Free

My Safe Home or something like that

My contention - she owns a home FREE & CLEAR - why should she be entitled to this?

The rest of us keep homeowner's insurance on our homes. This woman whines like it's the last day on earth, calls into my husband's office (CPA), moans and groans, etc. Just gets to me.

For what you are saying, Jacqueline, this same money could go to help someone in REAL need. I agree with you on some of what you said.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/ima...007RegSess.pdf

This is a state program to offer free wind inspections to homeowners. Certain homeowners that were found to have weaknesses in their homes that make them vulnerable to hurricane damage may be eligible for grants to assist with upgrading the home. The grants would be up to $5000 and would be matching grants. A volunteer organization was working to help low income homeowners match the grant funds.

However, the program has already made the 35,000 grants that were permitted to be made when the Florida legislature created the program, so the only thing available through the program now is the free wind inspection. Those will end in 2009.

The first paragraph of the law (which you can read at http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/ima...007RegSess.pdf ) states that it does not create an entitlement in any way for home owners. There is no guarantee that you will receive a free inspection or a grant - it is first come, first served.

The grants were matching grants

Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
LOL!!! I have an elderly relative that never worked a day in her life outside of the home. She gets her husbands retirement and social security as well as her own social security. Then on top of that she has savings bonds and other savings accounts AND oil royalty checks. She whines NONSTOP about money. She won't fix her broken toilet because it "costs money". Won't get one of those alerts for around her neck becaus it "costs money". Her house is paid for as well. She wants her kids that are still working w/ kids in school to pay for EVERYTHING she needs. The only thing you hear her say is, "I'm having to live on my interest". WHAT!?!?!?! You can SURIVIVE on INTEREST ALONE!?!?!!! Her excuse, she is saving it for when she gets old as she might need it then. She is 97!!! I'm thinking she believes she can take every penny with her.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline S Homan View Post
I hope you are also referring to the entitlements of corporate welfare; the entitlement programs of the super rich given to them by the neocons in Congress and the White House: No-bid government contracts (Blackwater ring a bell?), FEMA black budgets, and tax breaks to off-shore American jobs, and leveraged debt to do corporate buyouts - and billed to the "little people" who pay the taxes.

Jacqueline S. Homan,
Entitlements in "any" form will also include corporate welfare and yes, "no-bid" contracts are extremely rifled with government/corporate corruption... the "little people" however are actually high income owners since most of the taxes are from them... not middle-class America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics