U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 PM

92 posts, read 466,702 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I married for health insurance.

He lost his job, and therefore his insurance. We had been living together for many years, but hadn't seen any reason to marry until then. I was retired, but I had insurance through my former employer, and as my spouse, he would be covered for an additional, but still reasonable, premium. So we married.

Remember many years ago people were scandalized because old folks were living together instead of marrying because marriage would cause a reduction in Social Security widow's benefits? The Social Security rules were ultimately changed to avoid that problem.

Might this opposite behavior of marrying for insurance be a reason for a real national health care plan?

I used to be against such a thing because I didn't want to pay taxes so hypochondriacs could see their doctors every week. But now, I don't care. Something needs to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM

830 posts, read 898,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTenor View Post
My spouse and I married for health insurance.

He lost his job, and therefore his insurance. We had been living together for many years, but hadn't seen any reason to marry until then. I was retired, but I had insurance through my former employer, and as my spouse, he would be covered for an additional, but still reasonable, premium. So we married.

Remember many years ago people were scandalized because old folks were living together instead of marrying because marriage would cause a reduction in Social Security widow's benefits? The Social Security rules were ultimately changed to avoid that problem.

Might this opposite behavior of marrying for insurance be a reason for a real national health care plan?

I used to be against such a thing because I didn't want to pay taxes so hypochondriacs could see their doctors every week. But now, I don't care. Something needs to be done.
I am pretty sure it's Tufts insurance lets domestic partners join in their health plan. I hope you didn't get married for nothing ....

Old 07-19-2008, 07:01 PM

5,525 posts, read 10,225,841 times
First our diets (high fat, highly processed, sugar and high fructose corn syrup-laced and adulterated foods) rob us of our health, then the pharmaceutical industry and health
insurance rob us of our money...

Emily BH is right--and she should know, she works in the health insurance industry.

Many, many years ago, Hippocrates, the Father of Modern Medicine, knew all about this when he said "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food."

And now? Food has become our poison, and our medicine has as many side effects as benefits...something got very messed up along the way, that's for sure.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
First our diets (high fat, highly processed, sugar and high fructose corn syrup-laced and adulterated foods) rob us of our health, then the pharmaceutical industry and health

Emily BH is right--and she should know, she works in the health insurance industry.

Many, many years ago, Hippocrates, the Father of Modern Medicine, knew all about this when he said "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food."

And now? Food has become our poison, and our medicine has as many side effects as benefits...something got very messed up along the way, that's for sure.
Once they were able to patent a drug ..... that's where the change came in. It's call BILLIONS OF DOLLARS! Turn your TV off during commercials so the drug industry can't brain wash you!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 PM

19,089 posts, read 20,659,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

I suppose now you will swear to us that when you get colon cancer, you won't see your oncologist or surgeon in the future? Yeah, right... a lot of talk but when it comes down to it, you all fold like cards... I guess even you can't believe in your own lies when it comes down to it... you and Emily BH can stop spouting the ingenious B.S. that it is... she is as much in medical care as I am an astronaut..

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I suppose now you will swear to us that when you get colon cancer, you won't see your oncologist or surgeon in the future? Yeah, right... a lot of talk but when it comes down to it, you all fold like cards... I guess even you can't believe in your own lies when it comes down to it... you and Emily BH can stop spouting the ingenious B.S. that it is... she is as much in medical care as I am an astronaut..
No, I just simply think you are an "ASSTROLLNUT"

Last edited by FrozenAngel; 07-19-2008 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 PM

19,089 posts, read 20,659,578 times
Idiocy never ceases to amaze... go ahead and take your ginger, maybe it will cure your cancer... or bet yet, maybe you should just pray... perhaps a higher power will come to help with your special needs...

Old 07-19-2008, 11:35 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,480,265 times
Well we all know that women marry men for their money. So why cant men marry women for their health insurance?

I did.

I been self employed for nearly my whole life. I bought some health insurance from time to time but most trick you into signing up then they triple the rate so I drop it.

Then one day I got cancer with no insurance. Im clean now for 7 years but that dont matter. That does however make me uninsurable at any price. Doesnt matter if I offered to pay $10 grand a month. I am uninsurable due to the cancer.

But by law an employer can not refuse you based on prior medical history nor and they refuse a spouse.

So we got married just so I can get on her policy.

I have no problem with the married part but being forced to marry for health insurance is despicable in the USA.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Well we all know that women marry men for their money. So why cant men marry women for their health insurance?

I did.

I been self employed for nearly my whole life. I bought some health insurance from time to time but most trick you into signing up then they triple the rate so I drop it.

Then one day I got cancer with no insurance. Im clean now for 7 years but that dont matter. That does however make me uninsurable at any price. Doesnt matter if I offered to pay $10 grand a month. I am uninsurable due to the cancer.

But by law an employer can not refuse you based on prior medical history nor and they refuse a spouse.

So we got married just so I can get on her policy.

I have no problem with the married part but being forced to marry for health insurance is despicable in the USA.
Well too bad you didn't wait. You could have moved to MA where there is CommonwealthCare and can't be denied.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:21 AM

10,425 posts, read 45,480,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Well too bad you didn't wait. You could have moved to MA where there is CommonwealthCare and can't be denied.
I am a tad familiar with it. Plus I could be close to my beloved Red Sox and Celtics. It's tempting. I love Boston too.

We also tried to apply as a gay couple. With all the nutty people and their crazy ways today.....why not? The insurance co turned us down saying a man and a woman can not be in a gay marriage. I say why not? This is 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or