Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Fed prohibits subprime 'liar's loans'

Horse, meet Mr. Barn Door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Fed prohibits subprime 'liar's loans'

Horse, meet Mr. Barn Door.
that's funny !

Old 07-19-2008, 08:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I wonder how long it will last... consider that liberals want to steal everything.. they will be the hardest hit with this law... I give it a decade before they demand access to homes they can't afford and demand to raise taxes for everyone BUT them to pay for their expensive house... when did owning a house become a right... I suppose its uncivilized to live in an apartment... or in a house they can actually afford...

Old 07-19-2008, 09:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
That is too funny. But why wait til 10/2009 to put it in effect ?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
That's most unfortunate.

Leave it to Americans to pervert anything useful or beneficial into something profane.

The Alt-A loans were very important to people who are not always able to verify their incomes, people like sales persons who work on commission only, or whose income is mostly commission, bar tenders, bar maids, bar backs, maitres 'd, wait staff, bellmen, bus boys and others whose tips make up a large part of their income, and those who have regular income from other sources.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is too funny. But why wait til 10/2009 to put it in effect ?
They're probably hoping for a boom in these loans over the next year, just like the boom in bankruptcies before they tightened the rules. Its a good way to prop up the housing market a little longer, even if the taxpayers do get stuck with the bill in the long run.

Politics as usual.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
people like sales persons who work on commission only, or whose income is mostly commission, bar tenders, bar maids, bar backs, maitres 'd, wait staff, bellmen, bus boys and others whose tips make up a large part of their income, and those who have regular income from other sources.
How are they not able to verify income? Sure they don't have a traditional pay check, but you can still verify their income. There are tax returns, bank statements etc.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Instead of relying on loans, I long for the day when people buy homes with cash or hard assets, and skip the mortgage nonsense. Why take on 20-50 years of debt and inflated property taxes when you could just live cheap for a few years, save up and buy outright? Are people so dumb that they don't realize that they pay over double the already inflated purchase price over the term of the mortgage?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Instead of relying on loans, I long for the day when people buy homes with cash or hard assets, and skip the mortgage nonsense. Why take on 20-50 years of debt and inflated property taxes when you could just live cheap for a few years, save up and buy outright? Are people so dumb that they don't realize that they pay over double the already inflated purchase price over the term of the mortgage?
I don't know very many people who can save enough in just a "few years" to pay cash for a house. And I would hope that most people do realize that they are paying alot more when they finance. You have to remember not everyone makes a hugh salary, or born into cash flow that allows them to purchase everything with cash and assets.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
I don't know very many people who can save enough in just a "few years" to pay cash for a house. And I would hope that most people do realize that they are paying alot more when they finance. You have to remember not everyone makes a hugh salary, or born into cash flow that allows them to purchase everything with cash and assets.
If prices were in line with fundamentals, they could. There used to be a lot of lower-cost "distressed" properties for first time buyers. I bought my first home for 15,000.00 cash. Fixing one of those is what I call the poor man's mortgage plan. Liar loans are just stupidity. The ultimate idiots are the ones that end up holding that paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics