Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:00 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I like SB, it's consistent and I like the taste of the coffee. I don't step foot into a McD. I wouldn't drink their coffee or eat their food at any price.
Mom, you sound like me. I don't like McD's, for several reasons; about the only thing I do like of theirs is the egg mcmuffin. (But reading books like "Fast Food Nation" will turn anyone off as far as fast foods go.)

Last year or so, I've had some concerns with Starbucks, who seem to be losing their focus.

- My favorite bean was the "Yukon" version, which they discontinued months ago. They told me "Verona" is 80% Yukon beans, but who knows for sure. If Verona was 80% Yukon beans, they should've discontinued Verona, else it doesn't make sense.

- Starbucks stopped brewing name brand beans in-store. If I want a cup of Verona, I have to make it at home.

- Starbucks switched in-store brew to "Pike Place" roast, which is inferior tasting compared to Yukon, Verona, etc.

- Starbucks tells me they no longer brew decaf in-store after Noon. What's up with that? Most people switch to decaf in the afternoon to avoid staying up half the night. This is backwards.

- They came out with a line of micro-waved sandwiches to compete with McDonald's for the breakfast crowd. I used to hit McD's for an egg mcmuffin and then Starbucks for coffee. Starbucks breakfast sandwiches are crappy, one was enough. In return, McDonald's upgraded their coffee to compete with Starbucks, whose decision to take on McDonalds strong point will someday be a case study in B-School on how NOT to compete, unless you want your clock cleaned and your stock value humbled. I still hit McDonalds' for a mcmuffin once in a while, but I avoid Starbucks and brew Verona at home.

(Speaking of stupid, McD's breakfast egg sandwiches are excellent, but they won't sell them past 10:30AM or so, thus I go to Sonic for an egg sandwich at lunch. One of these days McD's will wake up and understand which one of us is the customer.)

If you wanted to RUIN Starbucks you couldn't do a better job than to cheapen your coffee, offer fewer coffees, sell crummy sandwiches, and not give the customer what he wants (decaf in the afternoons). Someone at Starbucks is really missing the boat.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mom, you sound like me. I don't like McD's, for several reasons; about the only thing I do like of theirs is the egg mcmuffin. (But reading books like "Fast Food Nation" will turn anyone off as far as fast foods go.)

Last year or so, I've had some concerns with Starbucks, who seem to be losing their focus.

- My favorite bean was the "Yukon" version, which they discontinued months ago. They told me "Verona" is 80% Yukon beans, but who knows for sure. If Verona was 80% Yukon beans, they should've discontinued Verona, else it doesn't make sense.

- Starbucks stopped brewing name brand beans in-store. If I want a cup of Verona, I have to make it at home.

- Starbucks switched in-store brew to "Pike Place" roast, which is inferior tasting compared to Yukon, Verona, etc.

- Starbucks tells me they no longer brew decaf in-store after Noon. What's up with that? Most people switch to decaf in the afternoon to avoid staying up half the night. This is backwards.

- They came out with a line of micro-waved sandwiches to compete with McDonald's for the breakfast crowd. I used to hit McD's for an egg mcmuffin and then Starbucks for coffee. Starbucks breakfast sandwiches are crappy, one was enough. In return, McDonald's upgraded their coffee to compete with Starbucks, whose decision to take on McDonalds strong point will someday be a case study in B-School on how NOT to compete, unless you want your clock cleaned and your stock value humbled. I still hit McDonalds' for a mcmuffin once in a while, but I avoid Starbucks and brew Verona at home.

(Speaking of stupid, McD's breakfast egg sandwiches are excellent, but they won't sell them past 10:30AM or so, thus I go to Sonic for an egg sandwich at lunch. One of these days McD's will wake up and understand which one of us is the customer.)

If you wanted to RUIN Starbucks you couldn't do a better job than to cheapen your coffee, offer fewer coffees, sell crummy sandwiches, and not give the customer what he wants (decaf in the afternoons). Someone at Starbucks is really missing the boat.

You've got some pretty valid and thoughtful opinions. I would post them on the starbucks.com site. There is a place for opinions and suggestions.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Starbucks' issue is and was arrogance. That they thought to saturate every street corner was laughable. There is, right now, a Starbucks that is literally in the exact same shopping center as a Vons, that has a Starbucks inside. No logic for that whatsoever.

In my opinion, they should have just put Starbucks in every terminal and departure/arrival point in the major airports, because that is where the majority of traffic would be had from, not just local to the city, but from connecting flights. They somewhat have this now, but there are less Starbucks in the airports in my experience than there should be. That's guaranteed money - there's ALWAYS a line at those Starbucks counters.

Next they should have focused on highly centralized urban areas like downtowns, or centralized communities like La Jolla. Places where there is a high mixture of residential and commercial that they can capitalize on. But to have a Starbucks out in a suburban shopping center next to a Starbucks in a Vons, down the street from a Starbucks in another shopping center that is next to a Starbucks in an Albertsons? Overkill, and as stated, cannibalizing each other's business.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
With more Starbucks closing that means more journalist, psychologist, teachers and artist out of work.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Starbucks' issue is and was arrogance. That they thought to saturate every street corner was laughable. There is, right now, a Starbucks that is literally in the exact same shopping center as a Vons, that has a Starbucks inside. No logic for that whatsoever.

In my opinion, they should have just put Starbucks in every terminal and departure/arrival point in the major airports, because that is where the majority of traffic would be had from, not just local to the city, but from connecting flights. They somewhat have this now, but there are less Starbucks in the airports in my experience than there should be. That's guaranteed money - there's ALWAYS a line at those Starbucks counters.

Next they should have focused on highly centralized urban areas like downtowns, or centralized communities like La Jolla. Places where there is a high mixture of residential and commercial that they can capitalize on. But to have a Starbucks out in a suburban shopping center next to a Starbucks in a Vons, down the street from a Starbucks in another shopping center that is next to a Starbucks in an Albertsons? Overkill, and as stated, cannibalizing each other's business.
There's a place in my county that has a small 'courtyard shopping' center with a bunch of stores and a few small walkways. Trying to mimick Europe, I'm sure... anyway, there's a two story Barnes and Noble with a Starbucks inside, where you can sit and look down on Starbucks across the walkway, then look the other direction and see another starbucks. There are literally THREE Starbucks within a 3 minute walk of eachother.

Crazy.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:05 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
I never could understand the popularity of $5Bucks in the first place. Who would want to buy this overpriced product? I mean, we are talking about coffee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics