Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

Another interesting tidbit I noticed while I was looking at the Seattle real estate market (I live in Seattle, when I'm not in Iraq, heh.) Dunno if you will find it interesting or not. They're not just closing cofee shops, though.

Two years ago, when it was booming, Starbucks bought one office building in Pioneer Square and started building another next door, intending to eventually occupy both.

Earlier this month the now-contracting coffee company confirmed what Barnes, Keating and other brokers had suspected — it's exploring selling or leasing both properties.

That's another 400,000 square feet that's likely to come on the market by the end of next year. Starbucks also recently said it would vacate 40,000 square feet of leased space in another Pioneer Square building.

Business & Technology | Seattle office market could turn in tenants' favor next year | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,142 times
How low have the mighty fallen!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
Sure seems like WaMu has a ton of space in downtown Seattle. Could be a problem if they end up going under.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
If Starbucks is actually cutting back on that overpriced office space, that's means they should survive as a company, downsized.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Another interesting tidbit I noticed while I was looking at the Seattle real estate market (I live in Seattle, when I'm not in Iraq, heh.) Dunno if you will find it interesting or not. They're not just closing cofee shops, though.

Two years ago, when it was booming, Starbucks bought one office building in Pioneer Square and started building another next door, intending to eventually occupy both.

Earlier this month the now-contracting coffee company confirmed what Barnes, Keating and other brokers had suspected — it's exploring selling or leasing both properties.

That's another 400,000 square feet that's likely to come on the market by the end of next year. Starbucks also recently said it would vacate 40,000 square feet of leased space in another Pioneer Square building.

Business & Technology | Seattle office market could turn in tenants' favor next year | Seattle Times Newspaper
I'd really LOVE to see them go down the drain as quickly as possible! The "health" nuts with totally non-smoking huge patios of their own choosing because even the state laws are not so bad!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, Starbucks' expansion strategy was incredibly stupid. Basically, you have Starbucks opened in such close proximity to one another that they began cannibalizing each others' business. I remember being on a biz trip to Seattle. Downtown there seemed to be a Starbucks on every other block. I remember thinking to myself, how the heck can the market support that many coffee shops in such a dense area?

And, of course, when the economy is uncertain, the daily $4 splurge on lattes is an easy thing to give up.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, Starbucks' expansion strategy was incredibly stupid. Basically, you have Starbucks opened in such close proximity to one another that they began cannibalizing each others' business. I remember being on a biz trip to Seattle. Downtown there seemed to be a Starbucks on every other block. I remember thinking to myself, how the heck can the market support that many coffee shops in such a dense area?

And, of course, when the economy is uncertain, the daily $4 splurge on lattes is an easy thing to give up.
Were those corporate owned franchises mostly?
Or was starbucks making money off franchise fees and sticking it to the franchisee by selling them on top of one another?

Many a franchise buyer has been burned by the company selling additional franchises into the first guys market area.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
I'd really LOVE to see them go down the drain as quickly as possible! The "health" nuts with totally non-smoking huge patios of their own choosing because even the state laws are not so bad!
Huh? Ich verstehe nicht.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Were those corporate owned franchises mostly?
Or was starbucks making money off franchise fees and sticking it to the franchisee by selling them on top of one another?

Many a franchise buyer has been burned by the company selling additional franchises into the first guys market area.
I don't know the answer to that. I do know that Starbucks was jamming a lot of locations into very small selling areas in defiance of common sense.

Subway is the very worst about all that. They would sell five franchises in a single office building if they could get away with it.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I agree. There are three Starbuck's at one shopping center near where I live! One's in a Barnes and Nobles, and the baristas at another will tell you that they aren't a "real" Starbuck's because they didn't go through the same training... whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics