U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Opinions on competing in global economy, increased taxation, outsourcing jobs overseas, how companies compete in global marketplace, seeking opinions on business solutions

Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 PM

576 posts, read 874,491 times

Advertisements

I am asking here, what some might consider a dumb question, and even might thwap me for. Might think I'm being political, I'm not. Just trying to understand. I'm just curious, as to others thoughts on this.

Competing, in a global economy? We've seen jobs shipped overseas, and is that because .......... obviously a lot of reasons, but one has to be it's a lot cheaper to pay overseas workers than it is here.

I may be completely out to lunch here, and will readily admit same.

But what do you folks think of how we go forward and compete globally?

The point I'm trying to make is other countries that are taxed more than we are, their citizens, but in exchange they are cradle to grave cared for. Not that I think that's the solution either, don't thwap me. But if an employer here, say GM, is having to pay a worker here whatever it is they make per hour, plus whatever perks, etc., ........... how does the company stay competitive in the global marketplace?

I remember reading at one time about all the techie type jobs that wen to India, as a perfect example. Here, in this country, you'd have a recent college grad looking for that job, expecting to make (accepting grudgingly) the bottom rung at about $35k, to $40/year. Over there, in India, that same college grad, ........... I forget what astoundingly low wage it was, but it was ridiculous, absolutely ludicrous amount. No way you'd get somebody here to work for that low of a wage.

So the question I have is. Are we all doomed? Other than those who work in the healthcare, or other hands-on field, that can't be outsourced to a cheaper global economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM

6,318 posts, read 9,103,354 times
Well, don't be so fast to assume anything. Inflation in India is running 11.6% right now and rapidly increasing even with the RBI trying to curb it. Income inflation is worse and attrition is a big problem. Also quantity of workforce does not indicate quality or expertise... there may be millions of IT workers in India but the workers companies WANT to hire are still hard to find even in India.

Ultimately smart people will always have opportunities to make it, they just will adapt to the prevelent conditions.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM

5,090 posts, read 10,044,464 times
nnyl, I would suggest that you start with the awareness of the farce.

There is not really a global economy for you at your level. That is an International Corporation "marketing" name-game thing that was designed to maximize profits, exploit workers and buyers at both ends, and skirt most laws and taxes. It is a beautiful thing when it comes together.

Your role -- since you asked -- is to be a corporate drone, if so chosen, at your level of the Global Corporation Plantation. Now shut up and smile. We do not like frowny faces on the Plantation Nation, especially here in the Big House.

You may chose to participate in this by working that corporate serf job, and buying the International Corporate produced wonder products such as Automobiles, Gasoline, Commercial Food, Clothes and please, some Starbucks coffee. Thousands of bottom-feeders like you are relying on Starbucks for their pathetic jobs, as well as a few Billionaires.

But no real medical care, and NO MORE housing for you prolls that decided to screw the bank for the usury home loans they were so good as to grant you.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,807,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
nnyl, I would suggest that you start with the awareness of the farce.

There is not really a global economy for you at your level. That is an International Corporation "marketing" name-game thing that was designed to maximize profits, exploit workers and buyers at both ends, and skirt most laws and taxes. It is a beautiful thing when it comes together.

Your role -- since you asked -- is to be a corporate drone, if so chosen, at your level of the Global Corporation Plantation. Now shut up and smile. We do not like frowny faces on the Plantation Nation, especially here in the Big House.

You may chose to participate in this by working that corporate serf job, and buying the International Corporate produced wonder products such as Automobiles, Gasoline, Commercial Food, Clothes and please, some Starbucks coffee. Thousands of bottom-feeders like you are relying on Starbucks for their pathetic jobs, as well as a few Billionaires.

But no real medical care, and NO MORE housing for you prolls that decided to screw the bank for the usury home loans they were so good as to grant you.
Oh..oh..oh. If I a good little surf, can I still go to Barns and Nobles and pretend I'm reading and stuff. I think it makes me look smart. I like to pretend I'm smart. Plus, the chicks dig guys that look like they can read.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,258,849 times
Things have changed and jobs won't stop being outsourced or automated. Opportunities still exist but may require a different skill set than what has been valued up until now. There are many jobs in America today that didn't exist a generation ago. Same thing will be said in 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or