Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:31 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times

Advertisements

From November 2006 at a mortgage broker's conference. Peter spoke in front of 1,000 mortgage brokers and told them why they'd be out of a job.

I'm particularly proud from 7:30 to the end, where he describes how he and his participating clients shorted CMOs. Thank God I found him before 2006 as implementing that advice alone allowed me to optionally retire at the tender age of 35

YouTube - Nov 2006 Peter Schiff Mortgage Bankers Speech Part 4 of 8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Ain't private welfare wonderful?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
I love Schiff

Him Rubini, and Eric Janzen have been on the money through out this entire thing.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
. Thank God I found him before 2006 as implementing that advice alone allowed me to optionally retire at the tender age of 35

YouTube - Nov 2006 Peter Schiff Mortgage Bankers Speech Part 4 of 8

At 35, how much do you think is a sufficient amount of money to retire on?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 AM

372 posts, read 849,074 times
I do like Peter Schiff, and think that he's been a voice of reason in recent years, but sometimes I think his forecasts are overly gloomy... but hey that sells books and EuroPacific products.

My major problem is that he states up until 2000, housing prices closely mirrored the CPI. Since then they've gone crazy far exceeding the CPI.

Later he'll state that since the 90's, the CPI has been useless because of the way that the gov't toys with the numbers, and that inflationary rates have been much higher than stated. If that's the case, than housing prices maybe haven't risen quite as drastically out of whack, and aren't likely to fall back to below pre-2000 levels, in my opinion.

To me the biggest question is how far will interest rates rise. If fixed interest rates were to raise from 6% to 10%, the purchasing power of a buyer would decrease by some 31.5%. Obviously if rates went beyond 10% the purchasing power would decrease further. It'll be a good time to have cash as investment properties may return to being profitable.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
I do like Peter Schiff, and think that he's been a voice of reason in recent years, but sometimes I think his forecasts are overly gloomy... but hey that sells books and EuroPacific products.

My major problem is that he states up until 2000, housing prices closely mirrored the CPI. Since then they've gone crazy far exceeding the CPI.

Later he'll state that since the 90's, the CPI has been useless because of the way that the gov't toys with the numbers, and that inflationary rates have been much higher than stated. If that's the case, than housing prices maybe haven't risen quite as drastically out of whack, and aren't likely to fall back to below pre-2000 levels, in my opinion.

To me the biggest question is how far will interest rates rise. If fixed interest rates were to raise from 6% to 10%, the purchasing power of a buyer would decrease by some 31.5%. Obviously if rates went beyond 10% the purchasing power would decrease further. It'll be a good time to have cash as investment properties may return to being profitable.
Interesting. Schiff could've sold off the crap securities or internet stocks when they were big and made even more money short term than he did by recommending commodities and gold about 5-10 years ago.

I believe his Crash Proof book sales are a tiny tiny fraction of his net worth, but I could be mistaken.

Also, he's a capitalist in the truest sense of the word. I don't blame him one bit on spreading the word on the faltering US economy in order to promote his company. If he were to come onto the scene in the past 2 years, I would be more worried, but the fact that he's practically hated in the polyannish CNBC crowd is way more than enough to dump my money into his brokerage.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:59 PM

372 posts, read 849,074 times
I don't think he's a snake-oil salesman by any means. I just disagree with how far our economy will fall. There is no question in my mind that the "correction" will be major, but I'm not ready to build a fall-out shelter yet either.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
I don't think he's a snake-oil salesman by any means. I just disagree with how far our economy will fall. There is no question in my mind that the "correction" will be major, but I'm not ready to build a fall-out shelter yet either.
He doesn't recommend a fall-out shelter either, nor does he recommend burying gold in the backyard as your investment strategy. Far from it.

He believes we'll actually do the right thing and the dollar will only lose about 50-80% of its value in the best case before finding support about 5 years from now.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
He doesn't recommend a fall-out shelter either, nor does he recommend burying gold in the backyard as your investment strategy. Far from it.

He believes we'll actually do the right thing and the dollar will only lose about 50-80% of its value in the best case before finding support about 5 years from now.
The problem is, people do not have any or very little understanding of how economics works. So when people speak about what is going to happen they interpret that as end of the world. They do not realize what any of this really means.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Here's another blast from the past.....

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/opihi1/gaspriceseb1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics