U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,222 times

Advertisements

A state agency is telling me that it will apply for a summary judgement against me for $375,000. This is made up of $98,000 that I owe them plus interest and damages that are specified in the contract. The facts are not in dispute and no doubt a judgement would be made.

My questions is: what can the state agency do to collect the judgement? Am I able to go bankrupt? I rent and my only assets are $40,000 in savings, $20,000 in shares, $33,000 in an IRA, and a 2004 car worth about $6,000.

Does it make a difference that a state agency will sue me instead of a private company?

I now live in Florida, which is not the state that will sue me. I have been told that Florida is the best state for asset protection. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,173,019 times
I don't know abut asset protection in Florida but a state has alot of lawyers and they will go after your assets.The judgement can last for years . Best you contact a attorney.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,179,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine85 View Post
....I have been told that Florida is the best state for asset protection. Is that true?

I believe that's true, O J Simpson moved to FL, didn't he?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,797,282 times
i believe they wont touch the IRA(retirement), but im sure your car, your savings, and your stocks are fair game to some degree

Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 AM

18,766 posts, read 56,573,093 times
The primary protection Florida offers is on your principal residence, through homestead laws. Money invested in that home is "safe." Of course if you can't pay ongoing expenses or a mortgage, that becomes a moot point.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 AM

2,840 posts, read 3,169,227 times
You should consult with a lawyer for advice as to what relief may be available under the federal bankruptcy laws. Specifically, you need advice as to whether the claim that the state agency is seeking to enforce through judicial proceedings is dischargeable in bankruptcy; and as to the advisability of converting some of your non-exempt assets (e.g., cash, stocks) into an exempt homestead under Florida law. Regarding the former, it may be that the claim the state agency is asserting is one of the debts excepted from discharge; with respect to the latter, you need to know if you are eligible to claim Florida exemptions under the domicile provisions of the Bankruptcy Code, or if the exemption laws of the state of your former residence (or the federal exemptions) are applicable in your case. As the state agency is moving for summary judgment on its claim, you need to consult with a bankruptcy lawyer immediately. Do not try to do it yourself; seek advice and legal representation.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:48 PM

21,311 posts, read 15,089,573 times
Quote:
A state agency is telling me that it will apply for a summary judgement against me for $375,000. This is made up of $98,000 that I owe them plus interest and damages that are specified in the contract. The facts are not in dispute and no doubt a judgement would be made.
Good, you understand exactly what summary judgment is.

Quote:
My questions is: what can the state agency do to collect the judgement?
You will be served with a subpoena to attend a Debtor's Examination/Hearing where you will have to list your assets, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, real property, and wages earned through employment.

The state can attach liens to any real property and garnishee wages, plus freeze/seize bank accounts and other instruments.

Quote:
Am I able to go bankrupt? I rent and my only assets are $40,000 in savings, $20,000 in shares, $33,000 in an IRA, and a 2004 car worth about $6,000.
No.

I seriously doubt you'd meet the guidelines for a Chapter 7. At the least, you'd be forced into a Chapter 13, where you'd have to make a minimum monthly payment to the state for at least 5 years.

However, more than likely, the debt, because it is owed to the state, might be a debt that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, and probably has no statute of limitations.

In that case, bankruptcy would do nothing.

Quote:
Does it make a difference that a state agency will sue me instead of a private company?
Nope.

Quote:
I now live in Florida, which is not the state that will sue me. I have been told that Florida is the best state for asset protection. Is that true?
Long arm statute, so the state that is suing is irrelevant.

You are protected by a homestead exemption, except you have no home. Nobody goes after cars.

They will seize your savings, IRA and stocks. Under no circumstances should you attempt to transfer, sell or dispose of your assets unless you first consult with an attorney, and the attorney does it for you. If you do not, then you will have transfered the assets to avoid collection and that would be a fraudulent conveyance/transfer which will only cost you more grief and money.

Your best bet here is to hire an attorney to negotiate on your behalf with the state to reach a settlement. The attorney would try to get the state to accept the principal and waive the interest and damages. While $98,000 is a lot of money, it's less than $375,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics