Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,774,907 times

Advertisements

That's gonna leave a mark.

For traders accustomed to receiving bonuses of as much as $500,000, the ramifications of the pay cuts are “huge,” Mr. Marcello said. “That’s the base of most people’s compensation.”

It would mean about $10 billion less in taxable income and several billion dollars less to be spent on apartments, furniture, cars, clothing and services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/ny...hp&oref=slogin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 11:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,300,486 times
it sucks for my hometown but it will bring in the much needed correction!

Quote:
Government officials in New York are preparing for what could be the biggest single-year decline in pay on Wall Street in history and with it a vexing shortfall in city and state revenues.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
A great start, but we have a LONG way to go!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,740,120 times
I will believe it when I see it... until then, just smoke and mirrors...

Old 07-27-2008, 04:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,824,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
A great start, but we have a LONG way to go!
What exactly is it a great start of?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What exactly is it a great start of?
The less money that goes to Wall Street, the better the economy will be. I hope it is the start of the end of the finance-based economy.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,304,701 times
these hedge fund managers do not deserve it anyways

same goes with most of the top managers at the big Comps

That money should go out the shareholders in the form of dividends, or back into the interest bearing accounts of clients

Old 07-28-2008, 12:22 AM

Interesting point...but isn't the reasoning behind it to offer the best, so you get the best? From reading the article (and other sources) It seems there is a glut of talent available now. In other words more supply/less demand.

I feel for those realtors out there. 18 billion dollars in the local economy? That's the GDP of a small country.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,428,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
...but isn't the reasoning behind it to offer the best, so you get the best?
I don't know about you, but I don't get up in the morning expecting to do less than my "best" at work! Folks all over this country get up every morning and go to work to do their "best". We generally get compensated according to how well we do, with a small percentage bonus at the end of the year. NO WAY do we get anything like these Wall Street types, and yes, I do think it is way overdone, that money should go back to the investors. Wall Street should learn to live on its salary, just like the rest of us. Too much greed, too much hubris.

Just how well are these guys doing now? Not well enough for the big bonuses, huh?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I don't know about you, but I don't get up in the morning expecting to do less than my "best" at work! Folks all over this country get up every morning and go to work to do their "best". We generally get compensated according to how well we do, with a small percentage bonus at the end of the year. NO WAY do we get anything like these Wall Street types, and yes, I do think it is way overdone, that money should go back to the investors. Wall Street should learn to live on its salary, just like the rest of us. Too much greed, too much hubris.

Just how well are these guys doing now? Not well enough for the big bonuses, huh?
I always do my best. Otherwise...it's not worth doing. You'll just end up doing it over..and probably waste more effort than you originally would have exerted. There's been times where I felt I wasn't being adequately compensated for the amount of work I was doing. I asked for more money and if an amicable deal wasn't reached..well.. there's always the door, isn't there?

I expect these astronimical sums were used to lure talent and the keep talent. Yes..to get that money, they would have to continue to do their best (Or be replaced by the next hotshot). But they also used them as a recruiting tool.

Incidently, I hope you don't expect waiters and waitresses to live on their salary. They live on salary + tips. These people lived on salary + bonuses.
I'm not saying the way service people are paid is right (in fact, I think it is stupid) but I'm saying it is what it is.

Perhaps a restructuring of the salary/bonus structure might be forthcoming out of this? Now, if they could just pay the waitress a decent wage.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics