Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about how almost 1/2 of all AIDS patients in the US are African American....and..
Report: Black U.S. AIDS rates rival some African nations - CNN.com

that led me to think..how much does the average patient with HIV spend spend on health care...
AIDS patients will spend $600K for care - AIDS - MSNBC.com

which turns out to be 600K a person. Or so.

600,000 X 1,000,000 ='s $600,000,000,000 dollars.

That's a lot of money. They did state that about 1/2 of AIDS patients don't get the drugs they need. That's still 300 billion dollars over their lifetime. And the disease is still spreading.
Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I was reading an article about how almost 1/2 of all AIDS patients in the US are African American....and..
Report: Black U.S. AIDS rates rival some African nations - CNN.com

that led me to think..how much does the average patient with HIV spend spend on health care...
AIDS patients will spend $600K for care - AIDS - MSNBC.com

which turns out to be 600K a person. Or so.

600,000 X 1,000,000 ='s $600,000,000,000 dollars.

That's a lot of money. They did state that about 1/2 of AIDS patients don't get the drugs they need. That's still 300 billion dollars over their lifetime. And the disease is still spreading.
Wow!
Of course! It is all about TREATING and helping people LIVE WITH DISEASES so the medical establishment can make as much money as they can for as long as they can with any chronic and degenerative diseases-- not just AIDS.

Coincidently, medical doctors are only trained in allopathic medicine which by definition only treats symptoms with drugs and surgery. You don't learn anything about finding causes of disease and helping the patient get rid of the disease and get their health back. You also don't learn anything about natural medicine or about diet. That is what they did in the old days when doctors used natural medicine when people lived long vibrant lives and died healthy in their sleep. If you survived the childhood diseases, you probably lived to 75 or even 95 or 105. (It;s a big lie about how we are "living longer healthier lives". The average age we live is older now only because now so many babies don't die during childbirth. However the MEAN age that people lived to in 1910 I bet was older than the MEAN age today.

Now you have to seek out Naturopathic Doctors who have the designation N.D or N.M.D if you want to actually get rid of a problem and get your health back. Will you ever find an article about this in any mainstream publication? NOOOOO. That's because one hand washes the other. The medical establishment is the media's biggest source of advertising revenue. It's all about the MONEY -- not about being honest or doing what is best for the patient. Americans have to STOP BEING SO NAIIVE!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
You could say the same thing about Cancer or Diabetes.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Couldn't agree more.

Worse?

When the CDC in 1981 had all of the information ready to declare to the public (who was in a bit of a frenzy, to be sure), John Roberts, a member of Reagan's ridiculously underqualified cabinet, rushed to Reagan before his speech to "out" AIDS for what it was, has him walk on stage and misconstrue AIDS to be a disease we still know "very little about or how it is spread."

This was an out and out lie, leaving the CDC up in arms as to why they would make members of society, especially those with hemophilia who innocently contracted it from their medication, to live as a feared member of society.

(I have hemophilia and am about 2 years too young to have contracted it myself, and I know of two other hemophiliacs who had their houses burnt down because they had been given tainted medicine. They have since passed. My step brother also passed.)

There is certainly something to your point -- based on the profitability seen then and how wonderfully it has turned out now, there will never, ever be a cure. (Not to mention the ignorant view held by some that it's God's disease for the immoral... but alas, it's hard not to have people think that when Reagan's administration did. Could there ever be a better example for not allowing religion and politics to mix?)

Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Very, Interesting. Come to think of it, there was a movie I saw a few years back about Drug Manufacturers spreading the Aids Virus throughout Africa and the hugh profits they were making in the process.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,217 times
Well they could develop a cure but not a VACCINE. A vaccine prevents the person from ever getting the virus. But the cure treats the person after having the virus. It would be more profitable to allow people to get the virus. Than it would be to prevent it.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 AM

94 posts, read 763,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Well they could develop a cure but not a VACCINE. A vaccine prevents the person from ever getting the virus. But the cure treats the person after having the virus. It would be more profitable to allow people to get the virus. Than it would be to prevent it.
I think I may have read somewhere that they're working on this for HIV/AIDS as well as numerous other diseases.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,217 times
well it makes sense. If they made a society where there are no diseases than what would happen to everyone who works in the healthcare industry?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
The insurance lobby gives a few dollars to the anti-gay marriage groups. They dont want to be stuck paying for it.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
well it makes sense. If they made a society where there are no diseases than what would happen to everyone who works in the healthcare industry?
Yes, yes, I see the light now....illness and diseases are CAUSED by the healthcare industry to make money! Wow, when my appendix burst I thought they were actually saving my life but now I realize that they must have used their space based gamma cannon to cause it in the first place.
Surely a stout full-body foil coating will protect me from future incidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics