Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It doesn't matter anyway. I recently watched the Day After Tomorrow and we will all be dead by 3pm tuesday anyway.

The end is near, by my book and CD...don't forget to stock up for Y2K suckers! ROFLMAO
the problem with having intelligent conversation in this forum is you have a lot of people who know little to nothing about economics and whats going on. While it will not be the end of the world for America, to think that it will be business as usual is to reveal ones ignorance as far as America's present economic situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
the problem with having intelligent conversation in this forum is you have a lot of people who know little to nothing about economics and whats going on. While it will not be the end of the world for America, to think that it will be business as usual is to reveal ones ignorance as far as America's present economic situation.
I agree that the US is in the midst of a bumpy ride. I merely disagree with the doomsayers and all of the hyperbole that is flying around.

Want to get on Larry King to pump your new book?
Don't predict $4.50 gas, predict $8 gas. Booga.
Claim people won't be able to feed thier children. Booga Booga!
Assert that gangs will ravage cities. Booga ^ 3

It's fearmongering and baseless guesses. (I won't even call them predictions because that requires some thought process.)

There was one highschool dropout in an oil thread here guessing oil would be 200 a barrel by mid-July and $400 by the end of the year. I reminded him of his "guess", he then claimed he never made it so I linked his quote and he never responded.

Scary sells, brash hyperbole gets you on TV and I am reminded of all the scary stuff from Y2K and stupid environmental scare flicks.

Certainly a prudent individual is being careful in this environment but if you have dug yourself a big economic hole it's hard to get out of in 3-6months...its more of a long haul thing.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree that the US is in the midst of a bumpy ride. I merely disagree with the doomsayers and all of the hyperbole that is flying around.

Want to get on Larry King to pump your new book?
Don't predict $4.50 gas, predict $8 gas. Booga.
Claim people won't be able to feed thier children. Booga Booga!
Assert that gangs will ravage cities. Booga ^ 3

It's fearmongering and baseless guesses. (I won't even call them predictions because that requires some thought process.)

There was one highschool dropout in an oil thread here guessing oil would be 200 a barrel by mid-July and $400 by the end of the year. I reminded him of his "guess", he then claimed he never made it so I linked his quote and he never responded.

Scary sells, brash hyperbole gets you on TV and I am reminded of all the scary stuff from Y2K and stupid environmental scare flicks.

Certainly a prudent individual is being careful in this environment but if you have dug yourself a big economic hole it's hard to get out of in 3-6months...its more of a long haul thing.
I see what you are saying, I agree. I do think things are going to get worse than most people are imagining but I don't think its going to be mad max type stuff. I saw these two goof balls on Sundance channel and one of them said they wanted to move away from big cities because when peak oil hits the cities would implode and people start feeding on each others :S I thought to myself what a absolute wackado.

Like i said, its going to get bad, very bad. There are tent cities out west right now, i mean that's pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me. So yeah, it will be bad, but not end of days, come to Jesus sort of bad.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Its just like the people who made a mint on the idot over Y2K;their business is promoting dooms day.Ho0w peole are mixing up movies with real life it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics