Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Why do you think Jefferson, Washington and the rest set up a Republic? They feared the mob as much as they feared monarchy.

I am politically way left of many on the board let alone this forum but I do understand how business works and how it must make a profit for the owners. Most of my objection is to business as it has been and is practiced. I object to having one business or group of businesses create a monopoly situation that restricts free trade in a given market. The historic oil business is a classic example. Standard oil was set up to restrict the production of oil by limiting exploration and development because every time a new field was developed the existing price of oil fell through the floor and nobody could make a profit. The world wide oil industry practiced this until the 1970’s when the favorable concessions granted to the Seven Sisters were removed by the countries that realized that oil was a resource for all of the country and the profits made at the well should be kept at home. Without the profit made at the well the oil companies have become primarily transportation and refining industries subject to real market forces. Indeed the companies and the profits are huge but this is more a matter of size than monopoly.

Our war in Iraq is a failed attempt to restore the wellhead profits to a few selected Anglo American oil companies with strong ties to the Bush family and the British royalty. The war is failing because the Iraqis’ figured this out a long time ago and do not want their oil to be given away for the profit of the people that invaded their country. Using force to create a business deal is just as immoral as using force to set a price for your own convenience. Using force is an immoral act that is considered criminal in most places. We government has been doing this for over a century but the rest of the world has wised up and are fighting back. We need to make honest and fain international business agreements that are free of force.

Last edited by GregW; 08-05-2008 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: added line of text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I second that. The politics folder never ceases to amaze me. It really makes me question the wisdom of allowing the majority of the population to vote.
It's not just the politics folder sadly. If they stayed in that folder it would be great but they tend to pop up in all kinds of other folders blaming liberals or Bush or the illuminati for flooding in Iowa, people overspending and losing their homes and why the 100mpg carburator is hidden in a warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:57 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
The politics forum is strictly for entertainment. I found out how to end a thread there. Just say something inteligent, without criticizing someone and no more responses.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Here in Austin, I think they give away a cup of coffee on Fridays if the Longhorns win. There you go.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,026 times
My wife wants to know how many people demand that Billy Bob's Bait and Tackle share their profit when they have a hot fishing season and make a 10% profit. Or the ice cream store.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
My wife wants to know how many people demand that Billy Bob's Bait and Tackle share their profit when they have a hot fishing season and make a 10% profit. Or the ice cream store.
Good point. This was one of the funny points about the Florida insurance market. The year after all the bad hurricanes, the insurers made "record profits" and the politicians all grand-standed because rates had gone up.

Those companies will make X profit a year for a number of years and then have a -5x profit when another Andrew rolls through. The main consumer advocate down there, on the governors payroll no less....uses 10 year averages (starting the year AFTER Andrew) to show how the companies are gouging. LMAO.

Well, the government in Florida is now the major insurer of homes in coastal Florida....what could possibly go wrong? Yep, government intervention people...pass the popcorn and watch how they have saved the people from the evil corporations.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
zasie wrote:
Do you think Exxon will donate some money to me?
No they won't. Exxon probably has no idea that you even exist. Hey, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them for a handout.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's not just the politics folder sadly. If they stayed in that folder it would be great but they tend to pop up in all kinds of other folders blaming liberals or Bush or the illuminati for flooding in Iowa, people overspending and losing their homes and why the 100mpg carburator is hidden in a warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant.
This is an incredibly funny comment! It is easier to blame someone than accept the consequences of bad business and personal decisions. However, the oversized government we have gives plenty of material for conspiracy theorists.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
and why the 100mpg carburator is hidden in a warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant.
You don't know how many people have tried to tell me this story; my boss, co-workers, friends, etc. It's a little different every time though. Just a few weeks ago my boss who is in his early 60's told me about his Dad's friend buying one of these magic cars back in the 50's and then 2 government agents confiscated it when the man started bragging about the gas mileage he was getting. Apparently the dealer accidentally sold it...lol

I read Snopes man...I'm also not a dumba$$. It was too funny and I so badly wanted to just call his butt out right there. Back on topic, it's just flat out ridiculous how people I know will blame the oil companies and point out how much money they have made, but yet they all shop at Wal-mart after work because they "save" money there. Some people have no understanding of economics in the least.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,026 times
Even Popular Mechanics was taken in by it back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics