Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:23 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,370,444 times

Advertisements

You can write "refused" on any mail you don't want and drop it in a mailbox. They don't return bulk rate mail to the sender and just throw it out

There is a list of ad agencies/mass mailer companies somewhere on the web and you send them an email and a ton of it stops coming. I've had no success with the PennySaver but that's about all I get now since my cease and desist emails took effect. When buying online tell the seller if you start getting new junk mail you will stop doing business with them.

I thought I heard or read several years ago that the post office was the only govt. agency to operate at a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON—The Postal Service had a net loss of more than a billion dollars in the third quarter of the fiscal year, the agency said Wednesday.

For the quarter ended June 30, the loss was $1.1 billion, which officials blamed on reduced mail volume in the slowed economy, coupled with rapidly rising transport costs because of high fuel prices.

Post office posts $1 billion loss - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/08/06/post_office_posts_1_billion_loss/ - broken link)
they should have added scanners and emails to the list of whys

Old 11-06-2008, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,170 times
Thanks for the post. You can also sign do not mail petition ( like Do Not Call National Petition) I did some search online and this is the best resource so far available online ( correct me if I am wrong). I have done this 5 months ago and my mailbox is literally empty ( I have paperless billing and also opted out from various mail lists) I check my mail twice a month now. It is beautiful. ( What a freedom). I even took the letter from samples provided and wrote it to a local Chinese restaurant that keeps putting fliers in my door. They stopped too in the whole subdivision. Save the time for yourself. Awakening - Stop Junk Mail I even opted out from the yellow book. What do I need it for, since the internet is right here.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
In the edn the post office makes alot of money on mass ads;that is why they do it. They have loss alot of the first class business and the package delivery business. There is a chance that we could lose the USPS as we know it in the future but congress would probably save it as so many depend on it stillas no po0ther will take the type they will deliver as it doiesn't make enough money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics