U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2008, 03:00 AM
 
36 posts, read 158,352 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Quality management in ISO 9000 standards.

Just some businesses or companies in US get ISO 9000 certification. While a lot of companies in developing countries try to follow the ISO 9000 standards. Why?

Is it easy to find a job relating to quality management in ISO 9000 standard?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 AM
 
15,026 posts, read 21,870,146 times
Reputation: 26230
Like you said, it seems to be a non-U.S. thing.

I think the thing is, most public companies in the U.S. already have standards that are followed and required by law, most for SOX. Those are financial but also relate to operational controls.

ISO9000 seems too limited in scope, mostly just for production companies, and takes alot of money to monitor. And most U.S. companies already have both internal and external audit staffs and expenses.

I've seen some jobs for it, doesn't seem to be too high paying because an ISO auditor is just a 'check this and check that' type of auditor, rather than a consolutant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,795 times
Reputation: 10
Not every company applying for an ISO certification will be applying for the same standard. There are different standards in place, depending on the type of industry a company or organization belongs to and the kind of products or services it offers.

I've also seen some jobs relating to quality management in ISO 9000 standard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
 
5,653 posts, read 18,481,333 times
Reputation: 4080
I think it is now ISO 9001 and the new thing I keep hearing tossed around is six sigma.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 PM
 
20,186 posts, read 22,500,342 times
Reputation: 9261
Six sigma is what a lot of people like right now....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM
 
29,805 posts, read 37,659,050 times
Reputation: 4746
Six sigma very simply put is a continual process improvement program aimed at maximum production with minimal defects. It's a business plan that can be used in many different areas. It was created by Motorola and has been adapted largely in companies now as a business practice. Before that were Kaizen Blitz, Khan Bahn, Point of Use...etc. All Japanese concepts that we adapted when we couldn't compete. It's a concept focused on always removing the bottleneck in your business plan with no prejudices as to what that bottle neck might be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 PM
 
3,459 posts, read 5,405,143 times
Reputation: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdca View Post
Quality management in ISO 9000 standards.

Just some businesses or companies in US get ISO 9000 certification. While a lot of companies in developing countries try to follow the ISO 9000 standards. Why?

Is it easy to find a job relating to quality management in ISO 9000 standard?
Overall, ISO standards are good for the company, but it can be a real PITA for the management team to put it in place, and you need an incredibly anal-retentive task master to crack the whip and get people to fill out all the things they see as useless paperwork. The good part is that all the useless paperwork can literally save the company if you ever have a major problem like a recall.

An ISO auditor is a lot like an accountant that nags you to save and categorize every receipt until you can't stand to see the whites of their eyes. On a day to day basis, you may want to strangle them, but if the IRS ever comes knocking, you'll be glad they were there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
 
15,026 posts, read 21,870,146 times
Reputation: 26230
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Six sigma very simply put is a continual process improvement program aimed at maximum production with minimal defects. It's a business plan that can be used in many different areas. It was created by Motorola and has been adapted largely in companies now as a business practice. Before that were Kaizen Blitz, Khan Bahn, Point of Use...etc. All Japanese concepts that we adapted when we couldn't compete. It's a concept focused on always removing the bottleneck in your business plan with no prejudices as to what that bottle neck might be.
I think six sigma and black/green belts are on it's way out. I read some studies recently saying that all these companies that had six sigma programs - none of them benifited! With today's economic crises I suspect companies will retrench and concentrate on only definitive value added oppurtinities or those programs that are required by the government or customer.

Really - business fads - Kaizen, Hoshin, six sigma, they change like the wind. CEO's come and go, and the new one reads the books and gets tuned into a new business fad. Companies will stick to government or customer requirements - which now is Sarbenes-Oxley, which is not as much an improvement process as it is a control requirement for all US public companies. But it's very costly for an organization to be SOx compliant. For ISO 9001 it comes down to a customer requirement in some cases, which is a problem in itself. Businesses want that ISO 9001 certificate on the wall so they institute all the requirements without using or undertanding the benifits from it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,795 times
Reputation: 10
Smile Six Sigma

Six Sigma techniques and methodologies are quite different from other quality improvement techniques because they are not self-sustaining in nature. Goals and objectives that can be derived through Six Sigma depend on a number of variable factors and inputs such as the quality of deployment and the existing organizational culture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,053 posts, read 79,966,839 times
Reputation: 27683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think six sigma and black/green belts are on it's way out. I read some studies recently saying that all these companies that had six sigma programs - none of them benifited! With today's economic crises I suspect companies will retrench and concentrate on only definitive value added oppurtinities or those programs that are required by the government or customer.

Really - business fads - Kaizen, Hoshin, six sigma, they change like the wind. CEO's come and go, and the new one reads the books and gets tuned into a new business fad. Companies will stick to government or customer requirements - which now is Sarbenes-Oxley, which is not as much an improvement process as it is a control requirement for all US public companies. But it's very costly for an organization to be SOx compliant. For ISO 9001 it comes down to a customer requirement in some cases, which is a problem in itself. Businesses want that ISO 9001 certificate on the wall so they institute all the requirements without using or undertanding the benifits from it.
So true. I've been working in the Corporate world for 20 years now and have probably participated in all of the above. Once we understood, documented and started following "the fad" it went out of style and the next one came in on thundering horses. Total reset in some cases.
Do this over and over for a couple of years and you give up and just hope the next new fad doesn't put more documentation overhead on your job duties.

IMHO..all it did was add another 2 layers of paperwork to document your "stuff" which sometimes was done after the fact so the paperwork matched what you did
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top