Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

Now if can get tax those with genetic diseases who continue to propagate their kind to pay a premium for having kids or maybe a speed recorder in every car to make them pay extra in their insurance premiums for going above the speed limit... yes, we need people to pay more to Big Business.. that would solve the problem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
While my first impression is great - do something to force people to lose weight and save money on insurance, I also feel worried. Where does it stop? Additional fees for people that ride motorcycles? Hunt? Skydive? white water kayaking? Being a gay man? What activities/lifestyles will they charge more for in order to limit people participating in?

The above activities are legal and reasonably safe, yet people get discriminated against all the time for doing them.
Government insurance regulators have always allowed discrimination. Women are charged less for life insurance than men, policies often will not cover skydivers or private pilots, etc. This is nothing new. It's called actuarial science.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 PM

159 posts, read 632,332 times
Let's support a social order that openly let's fat people get reamed out in public for being fat. Non-smokers love to make the little cough-cough noises and scold smokers for ruining their air. I'd love to let a really obese person get an earful that their choice of lifestyle drives up medical costs for everyone. Fair is fair. Unaffordable health insurance is not just the fault of smokers.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I read that in our local newspaper a couple days ago and was wondering if it'd be posted here. Guess we all knew it was going to happen eventually and we talked about it on some "smoking" threads. They just HAD to have another group of people to go after now. Fortunately, it wouldn't have any affect on DH or myself, but I just wonder how fair it is. There are a lot of people who aren't overweight who have health problems, too.
Well, I hope all fatsos who voted for the anti-smoking nazi laws are happy now! And if some think they're not next (for whatever reason) they're gravely mistaken!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I hope all fatsos who voted for the anti-smoking nazi laws are happy now! And if some think they're not next (for whatever reason) they're gravely mistaken!
Yea, I hear you. I still like to have my occasional puff. We were at a concert a couple weeks ago and ended up having to leave our seats cause we kinda got pushed out because of the size of some people. It was ok~we just went and stood in front of the band. But honestly, do you think someone who was obese would have that same live and let live attitude toward me if they saw me light up? I just knew that after they had smokers pretty much squelched and hiding in the corners, they'd be after people who are overweight. They won't stop there though. Guess they're after a perfect society and I pity the poor group they'll target next.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
As a healthy person who PRACTICES a healthy lifestyle, I'm basically in favor of this. I resent subsidizing unhealthy people who are unhealthy because they don't PRACTICE healthy living. On the other hand if someone is overweight thru disability, or genetic makeup then I don't mind helping them out a bit. If an overweight person can prove that they eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly and they are still overweight, then let them pay the normal rate. IMO, rather than basing premiums on weight, base the premium on lifestyle.

even if it isnt their fault you as a healthy person should not be footing the bill for them

Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yea, I hear you. I still like to have my occasional puff. We were at a concert a couple weeks ago and ended up having to leave our seats cause we kinda got pushed out because of the size of some people. It was ok~we just went and stood in front of the band. But honestly, do you think someone who was obese would have that same live and let live attitude toward me if they saw me light up? I just knew that after they had smokers pretty much squelched and hiding in the corners, they'd be after people who are overweight. They won't stop there though. Guess they're after a perfect society and I pity the poor group they'll target next.
i hate smoking and dont think i should have to breathe it in a public place
however, if it is a privately owned business i have a big problem with laws dictating whether or not people should be allowed to smoke there
I can choose to go to a different establishment if they allow smoking

I dont understand why people are saying they pity the group that is going to be targeted next- heath care should be based on how healthy you are, that is not targeting anyone, that is using logic. Making me pay for some fat smokers bypass surgery is as logical as me paying for their home or food- oh wait i forgot in this country that is what people like politicians to make us do. What was i thinking-no personal responsibility allowed!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
bxlefty23 wrote:
even if it isnt their fault you as a healthy person should not be footing the bill for them
The main concept of insurance is to spread the cost around. I'd prefer NOT to have any unhealthy people in the pool, but that's not the way it works in the real world. I can live with slightly higer premiums IF those insured are living a healthy lifestyle. I do however, tremendously resent paying higher premiums because of the junk/fast food eaters, smokers, and couch potatoes.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM

The main concept of insurance is to spread the cost around.

right- and those costs should be based on your health
if statistics show that i am a lot healthier than someone i should not pay what they do in premiums, the same as if i was a safer driver than that person i would pay less

Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Well, it would be amazing if healthy food was actually AFFORDABLE. The prices on things that are "good for you" greatly outweigh the junk food prices, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

If people actually got out of their cars and walked around that might help a little too! What a concept!
I get really tired of seeing people claim that eating healthful food is expensive. That is completely untrue, as long as you are willing to cook your own meals rather than try to healthfully eat out or buy prepackaged "health" food.

I can buy a giant bag of rice at my local Asian market, a giant bag of dry beans or lentils, whatever fresh meat or poultry that is on sale, bulk pasta fixins, and whatever fruits and veggies are in season and eat really well for very little. And don't pay $3 or $4 for a loaf of bread, buy yourself a bread machine and make your own great bread for a buck a loaf or so. Eating healthfully is cheap, if you just use your head and are willing to spend a few minutes cooking for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics