Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,024,959 times

Advertisements

I am fascinated by marketing so I find it very interesting to see what companies with big marketing / advertising budgets do with their money.

Pizza Hut has been running a fake restaurant ad where they serve their new pasta dish to unsuspecting customers who then find out that the amazing pasta they are eating just comes from Pizza Hut.

Carl's Jr. (and Hardees) has an ad campaign where unsuspecting customers in a fake restaurant are served their premium burger and then told that it is actually just a Carl's hamburger. The customer acts surprised and everyone claps and laughs... (Here is one of the Carl's ads -
YouTube - Carl's Jr. Fake Restaurant - Shelby)

Here is some background on this:
Candid Camera Concept Catchy for Pizza Hut and Carl's Jr/Hardees | Adland

So, for you marketing experts out there - why do companies copy another's campaign so blatantly? Have they no pride? I am not talking about the secret taping in general. Burger King did that kind of ad when they told customers that the whopper was discontinued and taped their anger and disbelief. I am talking about ads that are interchangeable with a competitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Of course they would. Advertizing has no credibility because lying is their business. Some adds may be very clever but all are willing to distort to get you to buy the product.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM

19 posts, read 54,617 times
I will never forget what my Marketing instructor in college said to us one day... he was a very "blunt" instructor. he said..

"the goal of a commercial is to convince you that you have a problem and that their product will "fix" your problem."

Think of all the people out there buying a product to fix a problem that they quite possibly do not even have.

Now THAT is Marketing.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:47 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,282,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I am fascinated by marketing so I find it very interesting to see what companies with big marketing / advertising budgets do with their money.

Pizza Hut has been running a fake restaurant ad where they serve their new pasta dish to unsuspecting customers who then find out that the amazing pasta they are eating just comes from Pizza Hut.

Carl's Jr. (and Hardees) has an ad campaign where unsuspecting customers in a fake restaurant are served their premium burger and then told that it is actually just a Carl's hamburger. The customer acts surprised and everyone claps and laughs... (Here is one of the Carl's ads -
YouTube - Carl's Jr. Fake Restaurant - Shelby)

Here is some background on this:
Candid Camera Concept Catchy for Pizza Hut and Carl's Jr/Hardees | Adland

So, for you marketing experts out there - why do companies copy another's campaign so blatantly? Have they no pride? I am not talking about the secret taping in general. Burger King did that kind of ad when they told customers that the whopper was discontinued and taped their anger and disbelief. I am talking about ads that are interchangeable with a competitor.
Could it be because it requires less marketing dollars to produce a similar product. As long as the said advertising method appears to have worked?

Or, if they're trying to reach a different demographic?... following the current economic downturn marketers are trying to draw on the the people that usually would go to Olive Garden, and show them that they can now get the same thing at Pizza Hut... likewise, people that would usually go to Ruby Tuesday/Red Robin for a burger, can get the same quality at Carl's.

In a slower economy, the "bargain" brands try to draw in more customers from the higher tiers?

-chuck22b

Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM

94 posts, read 763,068 times
All of these restaurants are copying the old Folger's or Maxwell House coffee ads... "the coffee in this fine restaurant has secretly been replaced with... " I can't remember which of the two it was (I was a kid in the 70s myself!), but they are memorable and I found myself thinking, "hey, they copied..." the other day when I saw the Pizza Hut one.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,542,442 times
It was folgers INSTANT coffee, I believe..

Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,024,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Could it be because it requires less marketing dollars to produce a similar product. As long as the said advertising method appears to have worked?

Or, if they're trying to reach a different demographic?... following the current economic downturn marketers are trying to draw on the the people that usually would go to Olive Garden, and show them that they can now get the same thing at Pizza Hut... likewise, people that would usually go to Ruby Tuesday/Red Robin for a burger, can get the same quality at Carl's.

In a slower economy, the "bargain" brands try to draw in more customers from the higher tiers?

-chuck22b
Some good ideas, Chuck. You might be onto something with the slower economy.

I realize that originality must be the most difficult aspect of advertising. I just think that marketing people would want to show they are worth the money by showing some originality / creativity. How hard is it to watch TV and then copy other people's ads? But I see it all the time so apparently there are many companies that are content with mediocrity.

I mean really, how hard is it to copy?
Got Originality?
Creative. Innovative. Ads.
Yeah, we're that creative.

Last edited by Niners fan; 09-13-2008 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-13-2008, 07:36 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,286 times
You would be amazed at how often different people have the same "original" idea. Especially since neither campaign was "original" to begin with.

Creative people would love to be more creative. But clients rein them in. Clients want to use what has worked before, not try what might work now. Creatives are risk-takers; clients not so much. But for whatever reason, the quality of ads is definitely decreasing. Some are painful to watch.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:59 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeem View Post
All of these restaurants are copying the old Folger's or Maxwell House coffee ads... "the coffee in this fine restaurant has secretly been replaced with... " I can't remember which of the two it was (I was a kid in the 70s myself!), but they are memorable and I found myself thinking, "hey, they copied..." the other day when I saw the Pizza Hut one.
Thanks for the marketing memories from my childhood

Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 PM

516 posts, read 1,887,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Got Originality?
Creative. Innovative. Ads.
Yeah, we're that creative.
LOL - I love it!

"It's just original"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics