Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Here's a good doomer article:

Worse Is Yet to Come - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
I'll give it a look. With a skeptical eye, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

good find. He was pretty much on point. Wish he wouldn't coin the housing mess as a "subprime issue" because its bigger than that. Alt A loans make up the bulk of the adjustable rate fiasco and that is far from sub prime. Those start resetting this month on through 2012.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Is Counterpunch considered a Doomer publication?

Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Is Counterpunch considered a Doomer publication?
Looks like that's a political site, not necessarily doomer.

Here's another doomer type site . This guy puts out a daily economic blog-like report. Sometimes he can get way out there though but he does dig up some good articles that don't make the MSM.

Independence Journal - Your Daily Business and Economic Newspaper

Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
its a fact that given the REAL inflation rate it is close to 10 to 11 percent.
No its not, its merely something a few people suggest. Your problem is that you believe the things you think are facts, but they are largely speculative. But, I already know what you think and I largely disagree with it. My point was that listening to people that benefit from things being one way are perhaps not the people that we should listen to. Hence, one can safely ignore that link you posted. But perhaps in your world sleazy investors are reliable sources of information, but I consider them little different than the NAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Like I said, a lot of major American companies are stupid... they really don't understand the culture they are playing with.... other countries actually get it... it's their "Country First".
This reminds me of when I first started college. I would often think that such and such was stupid and was clearly wrong. Of course later I found out that there was a lot more to it and I was wrong the vast majority of the time. So, you can think that the companies are stupid and they don't have your profound knowledge of foreign cultures or perhaps....just perhaps they have a strategy that goes beyond your knowledge of matters? Anyhow, when it comes to understanding things in the world I find it a much better strategy to assume the people that know much more than you (in this case business leaders etc) are correct even if it doesn't make sense to you. This way you will keep thinking about matters instead of dismissing it as "stupid".

I really wish people would use this strategy towards economics more often, but no everyone is an armchair expert that knows "the facts".

Last edited by Humanoid; 09-13-2008 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-13-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
No its not, its merely something a few people suggest. Your problem is that you believe the things you think are facts, but they are largely speculative. But, I already know what you think and I largely disagree with it. My point was that listening to people that benefit from things being one way are perhaps not the people that we should listen to. Hence, one can safely ignore that link you posted. But perhaps in your world sleazy investors are reliable sources of information, but I consider them little different than the NAR.

This remembers me of when I first started college. I would often think that such and such was stupid and was clearly wrong. Of course later I found out that there was a lot more to it and I was wrong the vast majority of the time. So, you can think that the companies are stupid and they don't have your profound knowledge of foreign cultures or perhaps....just perhaps they have a strategy that goes beyond your knowledge of matters? Anyhow, when it comes to understanding things in the world I find it a much better strategy to assume the people that know much more than you (in this case business leaders etc) are correct even if it doesn't make sense to you. This way you will keep thinking about matters instead of dismissing it as "stupid".

I really wish people would use this strategy towards economics more often, but no everyone is an armchair expert that knows "the facts".
*chuckle*

Are you serious? I mean really? do you know how CPI is figured out now as opposed to how it was figured out before? Do you even understand why whats being kept out of CPI is significant and why its significant? A few people? Again are you serious? Dude your problem is you don't understand any of this. But that has been proven time and time again. Stop reading off the internet and really delve into the facts. Once you get a good grasp of economic fundamentals then I think you will understand whats going on. The ONLY people who agree with your information is the government. Yet it has been proven again and again that those numbers are being doctored. What I believe in are FACTS and I have presented those every step of the way. Weather you choose to except facts or continue to advocate numbers that agree with your opinion are two different matters.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Weather you choose to except facts or continue to advocate numbers that agree with your opinion are two different matters.
Yeah, your post just demonstrates what I'm talking about. You think there are facts where there are none. You think your beliefs are the "facts" and there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Additionally, I didn't make any particular claims about the way the government calculates the CPI, which makes your rank that much more amusing.

Also, I would like to remind you that telling people "you don't understand anything" or "Go do research" is not proving anything. Its just fallacious nonsense.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Yeah, your post just demonstrates what I'm talking about. You think there are facts where there are none. You think your beliefs are the "facts" and there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Additionally, I didn't make any particular claims about the way the government calculates the CPI, which makes your rank that much more amusing.

Also, I would like to remind you that telling people "you don't understand anything" or "Go do research" is not proving anything. Its just fallacious nonsense.
Well here is the thing. In my real estate thread I presented facts. I also dug up other convos we had where I presented irrefutable facts. You don't seem to understand them nor do you seem to want to understand them. Good things about forums is, people can go back and re look at what has been said. As I said the facts have been presented to you time and again. Choose to except them or not that is on you. but presenting you with information over and over again that goes ignored is fruitless. I mean you don't even understand the basics of money creation, unless you have researched the matter between now and the last time we have had similiar convos. As I said, they are not MY facts, I have never presented what I think with no proof. I have presented real world numbers with proven information info to back up such claims. Again, except it or not, thats your choice. You do understand SOME things but you have proven that your fundamentals are off, way off

Last edited by Wild Style; 09-13-2008 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: word spelled wrong

Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
You do understand SOME things but you have proven that your fundamentals are off, way off
Its funny that you think you are qualified to make these sort of judgments. Again, you think your beliefs are the "facts" and anybody that says anything against them is wrong. Furthermore, you are some how under the impression that linking to articles (often from dubious sources) about speculative matters some how justifies your point of view.

There are little "facts" in economics, there are many points of view with regard to almost every topic and most certainly in the case of methodologies to measure consumer prices. Citing your particular view as a "fact" shows a basic misunderstanding of the nature of economics.

But you can continue to think you know the "facts", whatever fits your fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics