U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 AM

16,248 posts, read 22,895,389 times

Advertisements

Up until now I have not been overly concerned about the future of the economy in the USA. Yes it is slow right now and yes we have our problems with the banks and mortgages but nothing that the government cannot contain. And the government until now has done a good job - more than I would like to see- of containing the problem.
But this little seen news item really got me worried. Berkshire Hathaway- which is owned by Warren Buffet- has quietly exited the bank insurance business. They will not write new policies nor renew old ones.
This type of insurance is held by most banks to attract deposits in excess of $100,000. Tha bank pays for it and, should the bank fail, the private insurance company pays all deposits over the $100,000 limit that the FDIC insures. It is a very lucrative business for the companies that sell it.
The fact that Berkshire dropped it tells me that Buffet must know something we do not know. Why else would he have Berkshire drop a very profitable line of service? True he is the only one so far to get out of the business but I am disturbed to say the least. When the rich start doing things like this, it usually means something bad is on the horizon.
Excess deposit insurance provider exits the business
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 AM

124 posts, read 478,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Up until now I have not been overly concerned about the future of the economy in the USA. Yes it is slow right now and yes we have our problems with the banks and mortgages but nothing that the government cannot contain. And the government until now has done a good job - more than I would like to see- of containing the problem.
But this little seen news item really got me worried. Berkshire Hathaway- which is owned by Warren Buffet- has quietly exited the bank insurance business. They will not write new policies nor renew old ones.
This type of insurance is held by most banks to attract deposits in excess of $100,000. Tha bank pays for it and, should the bank fail, the private insurance company pays all deposits over the $100,000 limit that the FDIC insures. It is a very lucrative business for the companies that sell it.
The fact that Berkshire dropped it tells me that Buffet must know something we do not know. Why else would he have Berkshire drop a very profitable line of service? True he is the only one so far to get out of the business but I am disturbed to say the least. When the rich start doing things like this, it usually means something bad is on the horizon.
Excess deposit insurance provider exits the business
Well obviously he must he's one of the richest men in the world.
I wonder who will be the first trillionaire?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,689,872 times
Maybe he is predicting that lots of banks are going to fail...

Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM

86,067 posts, read 78,535,917 times
Warren Buffet, in retrospect, is 2-3 steps ahead of the game IMO.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 PM

1,505 posts, read 2,934,601 times
Warren Buffet owns GEICO, which lied to me about many things.

Last edited by Waterlily; 09-14-2008 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: not nice

Old 09-14-2008, 06:33 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,624,708 times
I know he knows and understands all of this financial mess more than I do. It does seem like more banks are in trouble every month.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 21,303,445 times
I'm sure he knows something I don't, if he's rich, and I'm a poor slob one step away from living out of my car in a parking lot.

Woofers

Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,774,185 times
Warren Buffet is interesting. On one hand no one can argue that he is the most successful investor ever.On the other hand he has some economic views that are perplexing. He thinks the federal tax rate should be higher which is not generally a business-friendly position. So IMO he has more credibility on his investment advice than when he starts talking about economic policies. (However, I readily admit that this opinion is based on my own views and he is more financially successful than me so consider the source! )

He is very conservative with his investments so my guess is that he is erring on the side of caution. But, when it comes to investments he doesn't err very often so I would say his withdrawal from the bank insurance business should be cause for concern.

However, anyone who is not concerned about the state of the banking industry right now hasn't been paying attention and probably would miss this bit of news too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics