Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times

Advertisements

Helocs frozen, equity in our homes, what are WE supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
I think you're supposed to "take it on the chin" and not complain too much, but above all, KEEP SPENDING.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Helocs frozen, equity in our homes, what are WE supposed to do?
i say let the damn firm collapse!!! it will humble our overly materialistic nation.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:16 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
i say let the damn firm collapse!!! it will humble our overly materialistic nation.
I don't think that will happen till our government collapses.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Listening to the former CEO of AIG this morning say that AIG is a "national treasure" and "must be saved" just made me sick. It's a corporation.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Listening to the former CEO of AIG this morning say that AIG is a "national treasure" and "must be saved" just made me sick. It's a corporation.
Why it must be saved....

All the same, it’s clear AIG’s new chief, Robert Willumstad, needs to do something, and fast. Any move that could support AIG’s stock would be good news for Greenberg, who lost $3.1 billion last week on the stock’s 46% plunge. He has since lost much more, with AIG shares down an additional 37% on Tuesday.

Ex-AIG chief mulls his options - Daily Briefing (http://dailybriefing.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/09/16/ex-aig-chief-mulls-his-options/ - broken link)

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
LOL, they should have let that treasure stay buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

Old 09-16-2008, 06:22 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I don't get it... AIG is representing MANY, MANY countries... where are THEIR money with this bailout?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:12 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
I don't think it has anything to do with AIG, except that it has widespread exposure beyond the U.S. It's all about calming the global markets. Many foreign countries hold our debt, keeping us afloat, and I'm sure they have made it painfully clear that we need to get our house in order. My feeling is the Fed is only helping those entities that it feels it has to help to prevent a global tsunami from sweeping away the underpinnings of the world financial system. I'm sure they'd love to wash their hands of it, as indeed they should in a normal free market economy. But we aren't in a free market economy and our staggering debt has put us in the disagreeable position of having to answer to other countries. We might like to think we're free and independent, but the truth is, we have foolishly mortgaged both of those things. We are no longer the world's absolute superpower; we are now a weak link in a global chain.

But I agree 100% that the execs of any company requiring intervention should receive NOTHING. Their golden parachutes should be cut adrift. If they're going to run their company into the ground and put billions in jeopardy, they should go down with the ship. Actually, they should have to repay some of their egregious compensation and be held legally accountable. But that's unlikely to happen, because there are far bigger things to worry about.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
They're trying to calm the markets. If AIG went bankrupt, global markets would completely implode tomorrow. Investors are so panicky that they would dump everything, driving prices to once-unimaginable lows, pushing more companies into the red zone and sending those teetering over the brink. This mess is causing good companies with solid fundamentals and long-term prospects to have liquidity issues. The destruction is spreading further faster than they bargained for, and I'm sure there is global pressure to act... and act swiftly. QUOTE]

GHB I understand your getting at. But the worst kept secret in the financial world is that there is a whole-lot-a bad paper floating around. Anyone in the game right now should have a grasp of that. And should be prepared for all the consequences of it if they decide to play.

I be honest with you. I could care less if the market panics because: 1. It opens opportunities for the savvy investor to get in on the cheap. 2. We all had plenty of warning with the Bear Sterns situation. Heck the powers that be pulled the "stop the panic" card out when they bailed Bear out. They've gone to the well to many times with that excuse. It for the most part is done with.

I tired of this interference in our supposed free markets. Let us let the chips fall where they may. And make the best of the aftermath. We will rebuild and hopefully in the end we will be better for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics