Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,512,471 times

Advertisements

Stocks surge on report of entity for bad debt - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_bi_st_ma_re/wall_street;_ylt=AvQMEpz9VDN90eeRgcBhjLeyBhIF - broken link)

Quote:
CNBC said Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson is considering creation of an entity like the Resolution Trust Corp. that was formed after the failure of savings and loan banks in the 1980s
Do any of you think this is going to truly stop the bleeding? And if so. why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Its complete BS... The market went up because governments injected over 250 Billion into the market... just like the Fed did two days ago when they injected 50 Billion and the market went up 100+ points... as to the Resolution Trust Corp... am I reading this right... the government is taking ALL bad debts from everybody and putting it on taxpayers shoulders? Can anyone confirm this? What the hell is going on? Has the world gone mad? Trillions of dollars in bailouts?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM

656 posts, read 1,992,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its complete BS... The market went up because governments injected over 250 Billion into the market... just like the Fed did two days ago when they injected 50 Billion and the market went up 100+ points... as to the Resolution Trust Corp... am I reading this right... the government is taking ALL bad debts from everybody and putting it on taxpayers shoulders? Can anyone confirm this? What the hell is going on? Has the world gone mad? Trillions of dollars in bailouts?

Perfectly said!!! Taxpayers to the rescue ----- AGAIN!!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:30 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,151 times
They gave no details... because it's a seat of the pants idea that clearly has not been thought through. Once they sit down and look at it objectively, instead of desperately, they'll realize it can't work. Notice Paulson said they're considering it-- he didn't commit to it. They had to do something. Global governments injected 1/4 of a trillion dollars into the markets and the trend was still down. Any attempt at stabilization was met with selling. So Paulson tried another Hail Mary. You gotta give the guy points for creativity.

I think they just want to make it till the weekend, when everybody can put their heads together and say WTF! Tomorrow should be interesting. I doubt traders will want to hold positions over the weekend.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:07 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,230,125 times
The Trillions in Mortgage Backed Securities is worth something. The problem is how much or how little. The institutions holding them are unable to value them and are unable to unload them. Therefore no liquidity and the institution dies taking our economy with them.

I would personally love to buy them at a deep deep discount. Would you buy at 5 cents on the dollar? 10 cents? 1 cent? This could be an opportunity for the Government to make a nice profit

Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Somehow I don't see the government making any profit... if there were profits to be made, they would sell it for what they bought it at so that corporations would profit off of it... all it takes is several lobbyists to make that happen... we take the risk but we certainly won't take any profits... "if" there are any to be made which I doubt..

Old 09-18-2008, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
So they will shift all the debt out of the banks and to this new gov't entity ?
And who the heck is supposed to pay all these debts ?

This is no solution. Well I guess it is a solution for the banks..they have a clean slate now and can start on the next new toxic investment.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Actually the RTC wasn't such a bad idea. We got our house after a private contractor bought it from the RTC and put all new everything into it. It's beautiful now!

So far as I can figure, the private contractor made all the profits. Nobody would have bought our house before, it needed too much work.

If you could depend on the foreclosed-upon to just mail in the keys and leave, we wouldn't need this stuff. But lots of them are trashing the places first. Too bad.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,803 times
Has anybody ever seen a final accounting of the RTC? Did the government ultimately take a loss on the whole thing?

Part of this is a matter of timing. Real estate will eventually go up in price if you can afford to hold onto it long enough. The government has a longer time frame than private investors.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:40 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That started to fail intraday so they brought out the short sale bans and the RTC. That's what they did in July when they coordinated interventions in the stock market, short sales, Fannie/Freddie, commodities, and the dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics