Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times

Advertisements

the media is partly to blame for the financial meltdown whether you like it or not. IndyMac's failure was caused by panic after the media made it seem like the bank was going bankrupt. same thing is happening with WAMU. No doubt they have troubles but the media is making it out that 100% of WAMUs loans are defunct. It is not. They have the money to weather out the storm but the media is causing a panic run on the bank. If WAMU fails it is not because they ran the business into the ground, it will because the media forced it into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
The media, as it exists today, certainly does not help. They definitely add "fuel to the fire". A few facts mixed with many opinions is what we have to deal with currently. And lets not forget our new found source of information, the good 'ole Internet. Even this website can have some pretty mindblowing opinions. It really is no wonder we are in a state of denial regarding our economy. We have too much information and much of it is inaccurate.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:58 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
I am sick sick sick of the media in every aspect of life. They need to get off the 24/7 business and back to three hours a day. We'd all be better off.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
LOL... you don't want to know that IndyMac was in trouble? Or that WaMu was in trouble? Perhaps you would like to not know that 9/11 happened since you wouldn't have to tighten up security and have all these domestic spying programs... knowledge is power... did it quicken the death of a DYING company? Yup... I suppose we could let IndyMac and WaMu die a slow death but the ends are just the same... I rather know then not know and if my money is at stake, I need to know NOW....

Old 09-18-2008, 01:17 PM

211 posts, read 402,624 times
I hardly ever watch news on the tube anymore, I'm sick of the over indulging, fear mongering, and excessive hype...all of em.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
LOL... you don't want to know that IndyMac was in trouble? Or that WaMu was in trouble? Perhaps you would like to not know that 9/11 happened since you wouldn't have to tighten up security and have all these domestic spying programs... knowledge is power... did it quicken the death of a DYING company? Yup... I suppose we could let IndyMac and WaMu die a slow death but the ends are just the same... I rather know then not know and if my money is at stake, I need to know NOW....
That's what the internet is for.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:01 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Things haven't really changed much. Anyone remember "Dirty Laundry", from 1982 (that's what - 26 years ago?)
Quote:
We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
Its interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry
-- snip --
We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing
When its said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry!
Applies just as well today as it did in 82...

Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Are you saying if this wasn't reported it wouldn't have happened?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Sorry..if people don't understand what FDIC insurance means and panic and run to take out all their money.how is that the media's fault ? They are showing on camera what these uninformed people are doing.

If you don't like the media..turn off the TV. If people were informed and knew what FDIC insurance meant there would not have been long lines to the bank and the media would have nothing to report.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Are you saying if this wasn't reported it wouldn't have happened?
If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

(or something like that...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics