U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:03 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,052,703 times

Advertisements

interesting piece

link

Glenn Beck is a cut up

link

link

Last edited by Wild Style; 09-20-2008 at 10:35 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 AM

8,067 posts, read 11,868,249 times
Should we bother to cast a vote for a Congressman?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,908,566 times
im 26 and have never voted because every politician ive ever seen is a liar, crook or incompetent

Paul motivated me to vote, and while he has no chance of winning this countty woul be so much better off if he won.Im sick of the lesser of 2 evils nonsense.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM

531 posts, read 1,153,598 times
I like Paul alot when it comes to getting gov spending under control
However, I really agree with the bailout package.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 PM

516 posts, read 1,777,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
I like Paul alot when it comes to getting gov spending under control
However, I really agree with the bailout package.
I can't make any sense of that.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:11 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,908,566 times
the bailout package is another piece of trickery by the us govt
they do this all the time
banks would not run themselves in the manner that they do if the govt did not encourage such behavior
their is not 1 logical reason that taxpayers thru income tax or inflation should pay for a bailout
The whole "too big to fail argument" is a load of crap
it would hurt short term, in the long run you can not keep throwing good money after bad, its a house of cards and does not work

And this is assuming that the numbers quoted will in anyway even resemble the actual amount of money being used in the bailout (this never happens)

Greedy people, greedy banks and a govt enouraging and enabling the banks to conduct business in such a risky manner is the reason we are in this mess

I dont see how you can agree with paul about getting govt spending under control and agree with the bailout. They are polar opposites.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,738,425 times
Yes instead of investment bankers and traders going bankrupt, we can have our government go bankrupt. Pure genius.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:23 AM

3,746 posts, read 5,575,484 times
I don't see how we possibly could give the Treasury the authority to act as they see fit up to $700 billion dollars without challenge or prosecution if they make irresponsible decisions.

Certainly there must be a better way!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 AM

8,067 posts, read 11,868,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I don't see how we possibly could give the Treasury the authority to act as they see fit up to $700 billion dollars without challenge or prosecution if they make irresponsible decisions.

Certainly there must be a better way!

Because "our" congressmen, democrats and republicans alike, are bought off, and it's relatively inexpensive, only 535 of them representing 300 million people and, what, a $12 trillion per year economy.

"We" the people are too busy working and paying bills to really be on top of the situation.

The first step is to manage one's own household budget (how many regular citizens can't even balance a checkbook?), participate in one's own municipality budget, school board budget, and so on.

Whether we take responsibility for ourselves or not, we get what we deserve.

To be sure, there are many responsible Americans who do sensibly manage their household budgets and it is a pity that they have to pay for the irresponsibility of others.

But it rains on the just and unjust alike.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 AM

3,746 posts, read 5,575,484 times
Allowing the Treasury Secretary to have such broad power with out having to answer to the people's representatives (Congress) is unconscionable.

It is a spit in the face of democracy! I thought that the Fed chief was the most powerful person in the world? Now it looks like were going to have two boys with "big guns" in positions to play oneupmanship using our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics