Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times

Advertisements

Oil man is here today looking at the furnace. He said, "Yup, it's going to be a tough winter for a lot of folks."

I said, "Yup, people are gonna have to choose between heat and food."

And then I thought, if it comes down to that, they'll start charging grocery bills to credit cards. And then they fall further behind.

And it could be just enough to push a few over the edge and into foreclosure or bankruptcy.

any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:35 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,147 times
If you push your hands up a little higher, maybe you can stop the sky from falling....
Space heaters and blankets. Cook meals that stretch (chilli, soup, etc) and cut back on the processed food and take out and most people should do okay. Please stop the scare tactics. We get enough of that with the media when most people are just trying to keep their cool and get through this.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
If you push your hands up a little higher, maybe you can stop the sky from falling....
Space heaters and blankets. Cook meals that stretch (chilli, soup, etc) and cut back on the processed food and take out and most people should do okay. Please stop the scare tactics. We get enough of that with the media when most people are just trying to keep their cool and get through this.
as unemployment rises and inflation increases, it might not be so easy.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM

472 posts, read 872,204 times
Quote:

Well the crisis is here... whether you want to recognize it or not. The Northeast is completely dependent on using heat and electric to heat their homes in the winter. The mantra 'Wear a sweater' may strech oil consumption... but it does nothing to shape the reality that oil may be as high as $5.00 per gallon or more. The financial crisis may be turning Wall St. upside down, but the move to help salvage the mess may drive inflation up even more. That will just make it harder for those with lower and middle incomes to get by. Bloomberg announced that even with the bailout up to 40,000 jobs may be lost in the financial sector. That will make this winter devestating.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
cobolt - these people are being realistic and are not scare mongering. It is going to get really bad. People will be buying food and fuel on credit cards. IIRC credit card debt cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy proceding due to changes by this administration. Hard times a commin'.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM

I am not minimalizing the severity of our situation. I realize hard times are ahead. I get that and I'm scared and concerned just as much as the next person. But what can we do other than economize and bond together with friends, family and sacrifice? I think most people already know that this financial crisis along with the oncoming winter is going to be rough. I'm just not into scaring people more than need be. They're already concerned. The smart ones anyway.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:37 AM

472 posts, read 872,204 times
Quote:
I am not minimalizing the severity of our situation. I realize hard times are ahead. I get that and I'm scared and concerned just as much as the next person. But what can we do other than economize and bond together with friends, family and sacrifice? I think most people already know that this financial crisis along with the oncoming winter is going to be rough. I'm just not into scaring people more than need be. They're already concerned. The smart ones anyway.
Economizing is a good strategy... conserving is another. However there are many Americans who were already on the edge, and these strategies may not be enough.

And the supposedly 'smart' people didn't even see this crisis coming. It was ignornance and greed that created this mess... and it was apathy and arrogance that have brought us to this point.

Case in point... just two short years ago.

YouTube - 8/28/2006-Ron Paul Advisor Peter Schiff On Kudlow & Company

Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I live in the northeast and this is a very real crisis for us. I have several friends who are already sliding further into credit card debt and trying to hold on to their homes. As i was thinking about it, I was starting to wonder how many more houses would foreclose before the end of winter.

BTW: space heaters are very expensive to use.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
Well the crisis is here... whether you want to recognize it or not. The Northeast is completely dependent on using heat and electric to heat their homes in the winter. The mantra 'Wear a sweater' may strech oil consumption... but it does nothing to shape the reality that oil may be as high as $5.00 per gallon or more. The financial crisis may be turning Wall St. upside down, but the move to help salvage the mess may drive inflation up even more. That will just make it harder for those with lower and middle incomes to get by. Bloomberg announced that even with the bailout up to 40,000 jobs may be lost in the financial sector. That will make this winter devestating.
Since most of the lower income jobs are in the financial sector, I gather?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Well for some of the people who are already on edge etc due to greed and ignorance, it's going to be a steep learning curve. There were alot of shady dealings and outright fraud on the side of lending institutions, but the fault can't lie square with them. Some people are just as guilty for living beyond their means and validating a lifestyle and mortgages they couldn't afford. I have little sympathy for them when I was living below my means and responsibly, and now I"ll be suffering for those who were reckless, both on the upper and lower ends of the foodchain. Maybe we'll all learn a lesson from this, and maybe not, and with that, I'll shut up before I ruffle any more feathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics