Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,085,163 times

Advertisements

Is anyone on here cashing out their 401K because of the crisis?

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting anyone do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Is anyone on here cashing out their 401K because of the crisis?

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting anyone do this.
i have been toying with moving my 401k.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:39 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
If you are doing anything else besides standard rebalancing in today's market, then you are clearly not invested correctly per your risk tolerance....

If you have a majority of your portfolio in equities, then these fluctuations are NOT uncommon....

Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you are doing anything else besides standard rebalancing in today's market, then you are clearly not invested correctly per your risk tolerance....

If you have a majority of your portfolio in equities, then these fluctuations are NOT uncommon....
fluctuations not uncommon yes, I agree. But what we have happening today is what many believe are the end of times. If our big brother, daddy government does not handle this situation JUST right, I believe it very well may be the end of times. "A bag of gold won't buy a loaf of bread." Think about it........

Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,805,207 times
Please people, do not panic and sell off! That is the worst thing to do right now, for the entire country!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM

472 posts, read 872,654 times
No plans... although it is tempting to cash it out and take the hit in my taxes and eliminate all of my debt. Reduce my exposure but eliminate my retirement. But I won't.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
NO. But reallocation is my next step. I'm thinking about increasing foreign exposure (if the markets hold) as thats where the growth seems to be in the forseeable future. There are some suggesting a move to cash as current situation may get worse in the next 6 months.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
NO. But reallocation is my next step. I'm thinking about increasing foreign exposure (if the markets hold) as thats where the growth seems to be in the forseeable future. There are some suggesting a move to cash as current situation may get worse in the next 6 months.
I have a pretty large foreign exposure, but be careful. It often follows the USA by a few months, tho recently got pretty beat up as well.

This world economy thing is gonna play out differently this time. The US has been the largest consumer nation, and has previously paid its bills and been a good place for foreigners to stash investments and buy assets. Not so, when we let the 'raiders' gut our value (or over-inflate), and we lost many of our core competencies. The pendulum swings, and how I wish I were in a better position to not get whacked. (Ouch, this is gonna hurt... no more income, and 40 more yrs in retirement)

Too bad we can't take 401k losses off income tax, I WILL be doing that in my 'non-qualified' accts to offset some capital gains from selling my investment props earlier in the yr.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:01 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,609 times
I moved out of stocks about a year ago. Although, I think if I didn't do it already I would still do it today. It is my view that stocks are going to be weak for awhile.

A lot of investment theory is based on the stock market over the last 20-30 years, when you look back further some of it seems a bit odd. When people start talking about "being in for the long haul", I can't help but think "sucker".

Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
fluctuations not uncommon yes, I agree. But what we have happening today is what many believe are the end of times. If our big brother, daddy government does not handle this situation JUST right, I believe it very well may be the end of times. "A bag of gold won't buy a loaf of bread." Think about it........
the worst advice someone could give is that its "different this time".

the bear market of 00-02 had a bigger drop than we've had recently....

20-30 years from now this like all other dips will be considered "noise".

Sorry to hear your panicking now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics