Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you forsee in next few months?
Crisis is over--raid 401K to buy leather seats for new SUV 2 2.82%
Mild recession 12 16.90%
Sever recession begins 44 61.97%
Granny, you keep watch at teh window. I'll be at the front door with shotgun. You youngins go hide in the cellar. 13 18.31%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:37 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,079,180 times

Advertisements

What do you forsee in the few months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,857,741 times
market cheerleading on the street. maybe another run to 11,000 if the government manages to keep crude at or near $100. after the election, all hell breaks loose. inflation beings to rear its ugly head.

wildcards: The world stops buying our debt, creating a run on the dollar. Israel strikes Iran sending oil through the roof. Russia moves missiles into Cuba bringing a national crisis of a new Cold War we can ill afford to fight. Various natural disasters.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,155,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
market cheerleading on the street. maybe another run to 11,000 if the government manages to keep crude at or near $100. after the election, all hell breaks loose. inflation beings to rear its ugly head.

wildcards: The world stops buying our debt, creating a run on the dollar. Israel strikes Iran sending oil through the roof. Russia moves missiles into Cuba bringing a national crisis of a new Cold War we can ill afford to fight. Various natural disasters.
I'm with the Texan. Yep.

Oh, and don't forget friggin' Pakistan.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,495,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
What do you forsee in the few months?
I don't know about months. But I suspect within a year or so your going to start seeing the begins of hyperinflation.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:18 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,079,180 times
that's what I'm wondering--will Americans go back to their old ways if this is out of the news cycle in teh next couple of weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I don't know about months. But I suspect within a year or so your going to start seeing the begins of hyperinflation.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,418,271 times
Social Security is wiped out. Gas prices continue to rise. Inflation takes off. Old folks found frozen still in their homes. Young ones take to the streets and wage a battle for rice, bread, and other resources.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,223,085 times
I think that we will go into a severe recession. Who knows how long it will last: I'm not a fortune teller.

Meanwhile, I think that many fear mongers will still be predicting the end of the world. Who knows- maybe they'll get their wish this time.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,962,102 times
The US starts running out of money, and no other country wants to lend it to us, so, they FINALLY do what they should have done years ago:

The US finally places a tax on dollar to Chinese Yuan transactions...and raises 800 billion dollars in one month to cover the cost of the stupid bailout, while the Chinese throw a tantrum that they can no longer easilt steal American jobs.

End foreign aid all together.

Raise the age of Social Security elligibility by five years

Allow younger people to access their own Social Security early if they agree to collect allot less social security when they retire: you get 10,000 dollars now, collect 10% less social security a month when you're elligible

Close down all those bases that have, since the end of the Cold War, done nothing but protect Europe from East Germany. No more keeping the world safe from a dead horse.

Raise intrest rates, permanently

Completely ban naked short selling

Make it illegal to over mortage salesman commission...if they stay paid anyway, they'll no longer have incentive to get people into a crappy mortage they can never pay off.

Granted, tweedly-dump and tweedle-dumper who are both running for president will never do all of the above, but who knows?

Still, I think the US economy has been through worse and survived.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,155,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The US starts running out of money, and no other country wants to lend it to us, so, they FINALLY do what they should have done years ago:

The US finally places a tax on dollar to Chinese Yuan transactions...and raises 800 billion dollars in one month to cover the cost of the stupid bailout, while the Chinese throw a tantrum that they can no longer easilt steal American jobs.

End foreign aid all together.

Raise the age of Social Security elligibility by five years

Allow younger people to access their own Social Security early if they agree to collect allot less social security when they retire: you get 10,000 dollars now, collect 10% less social security a month when you're elligible

Close down all those bases that have, since the end of the Cold War, done nothing but protect Europe from East Germany. No more keeping the world safe from a dead horse.

Raise intrest rates, permanently

Completely ban naked short selling

Make it illegal to over mortage salesman commission...if they stay paid anyway, they'll no longer have incentive to get people into a crappy mortage they can never pay off.

Granted, tweedly-dump and tweedle-dumper who are both running for president will never do all of the above, but who knows?

Agree with it all except I do believe in one of the candidates.

Anyway, great ideas.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:50 AM

561 posts, read 1,508,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

I disagree, however you had some good ideas. Yes, the Great Depression was worse, but it was a different America then. Americans took personal responsibility, believed in hard work, were honest and willing to make sacrifices. Now, we're a nation that expects to be taken care of, want any handout we can get, and expect the government to provide and/or fix everything.

With both Dumb & Dumber tickets running for President , I don't think we stand a chance of real recovery. Sure the media (controlled by corporate America) will white-wash as much as they can and paint us a very rosey picture, but the jobs are either gone or almost out the door. We are a nation that buys practically everything on credit, but we don't produce much in the way of commodities; and we never, ever learn from our mistakes. So the outlook is not good, not good at all; and I hope I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics