Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Although I believe in the WORDS of Jefferson, the man himself was a hypocrite. Fighting for freedom for all, but owning slaves. Telling others not to go in debt, but himself dying in debt (which is why he owned slaves until he died). So, you know what they say: what you do means more than you say. He was merely another politician.

<prepares for a good ol' fashion flaming>
Sounds like he knew what he was talking about, just not living on the right end of that proverb. Doesn't make it any less true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Exactly, disregard "all created equal" because the inception of the thought was based on "all white men created equal". Come one, move on, stop being a house n#### yourselves and bark up the right tree, which happens to be the Federal Reserve, wall street, and the finance oligarchy that effectively is the slave owner of YOU, present day slave. Recognize that Jefferson's words ring true to what's going on TODAY, and that in such removed timeline between said events and his assertions lies inherent patriotism. Recognize that and act accordingly instead of bickering over how close to Jesus your moral compass has to come from before you do anything to help yourself. JHC people.

Slaves at least knew they were slaves. We do not even collectively RECOGNIZE we're enslaved. We're worse off as a collective than they were. If I had a quarter for every man and woman in this country that lives day to day to pay their bills as the fundamental definition of why they wake up in the morning, I'd be rich myself. The pursuit of happiness, and that of our children has been mortgaged against the pursuit of a few oligarchs to control those around them. I call that slavery and a life not worth living if pursued without the intent to change. So, again, recognize your own slavery, then you will find truth in that quote, and if national loyalty still means anything to anybody in this country anymore, we can stand on the shoulders of that very quote and act to retake that which has been stolen from us.....Or you can continue viewing Jefferson as ultimately a slave holder and ignoring his words as you drive your disheartened laborer slave #ss to your ever depreciating GLOBAL dead-end job you only need to pay bills until your body expires....

Death to the Federal Reserve, the yoke on our wrists and our present day slave owner.
i think that was well said! so often the message is lost because you don't like the messenger, but it does not change the message one bit!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
thomas jefferson also said this:
"I am not among those who fear the people.
They, and not the rich, are our dependence for continued freedom.
And to preserve their independence,
We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.
We must make our election between economy and liberty
or profusion and servitude.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:10 PM

Looks like the majority (mob) is choosing economy. Wish I could get off the train. Maybe we like minded people can start an Amish like community and not participate in government.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Although I believe in the WORDS of Jefferson, the man himself was a hypocrite. Fighting for freedom for all, but owning slaves. Telling others not to go in debt, but himself dying in debt (which is why he owned slaves until he died). So, you know what they say: what you do means more than you say. He was merely another politician.

Slavery was never abolished, it was perfected and made all inclusive.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Slavery was never abolished, it was perfected and made all inclusive.
That's sig worthy.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinshow View Post
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to the Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin (1802)

What is old in new again.
Hi lastinshow,

I have been preaching this. Here is another favorite of mine.

Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves." - Andrew Jackson

Old 11-11-2008, 01:01 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:

Hi runningncircles,

Nobody is perfect. When abolitionists set free American slaves and "repatriated" to Liberia they ended up running an African slave trade with the natives. Its what they knew. It seems very few knew better. Credit the city state of Dubrovnik as the first to wake up first especially in light of its slave trading rival Venice across the Adriatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics