U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bailout plan in the media: panic, raising FDIC standards, commercial credit, massive job losses

Old 09-30-2008, 06:48 AM

371 posts, read 1,469,253 times

Advertisements

Anyone else feel that the media isn't helping the situation? I mean, instead of making people panic about what is going to "happen" if this bailout doesn't occur, they should be telling us what we need to do ex/keep your money in the bank instead of going for a bank run which will collapse this economy in no time and make our dollar worthless anyway. Just today they are talking about raising the FDIC standards to cover accounts with 200K (or something like that) Yeah thats a good idea but if people just go and withdraw all their money-how is that going to help us?? The media and all these people they are talking to will make people run. They will come out with another "revised" bailout plan. They all didn't agree-why jump on one idea, this needs to be really thought through. They are trying to do the right thing for once. The problem with American politicians-just jump on one idea with out reviewing the consiquences. Maybe they really are thinking about the taxpayers and whats best for us??? The more I am watching tv-the more I am believing that they are hyping things up and will make Americans run into a panic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,195,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
Anyone else feel that the media isn't helping the situation? I mean, instead of making people panic about what is going to "happen" if this bailout doesn't occur, they should be telling us what we need to do ex/keep your money in the bank instead of going for a bank run which will collapse this economy in no time and make our dollar worthless anyway. Just today they are talking about raising the FDIC standards to cover accounts with 200K (or something like that) Yeah thats a good idea but if people just go and withdraw all their money-how is that going to help us?? The media and all these people they are talking to will make people run. They will come out with another "revised" bailout plan. They all didn't agree-why jump on one idea, this needs to be really thought through. They are trying to do the right thing for once. The problem with American politicians-just jump on one idea with out reviewing the consiquences. Maybe they really are thinking about the taxpayers and whats best for us??? The more I am watching tv-the more I am believing that they are hyping things up and will make Americans run into a panic.
Some of the "hype" is true IMO, there will be a shutdown of commercial credit, just look at the libor rate going to 8%.
People are looking at this like it's going to affect you today, that you'll go to the bank and not be able to get a loan. That's not the issue. This is going to affect many peoples employers and my concern is in massive job losses and company shut downs. As for the media not giving any "real" advice, you're right! That's because they have no better idea of what's to happen than anyone else at this point. It would be better if they'd just shut it for a while...

Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 AM

706 posts, read 1,207,779 times
Actually raising the FDIC limits would go a long way towards calming the nerves of investors and settling down banks. I had an account with approx $150,000 with one of the solid banks. But I still opened another account and moved $50,000. There are a lot of small businesses that have high balances from time to time and all this media hysteria is scaring people into moving money around like they never have before. This is disruptive as banks have a hard time to keep track of their capital when it happens on a large scale.

I say raise it to $500,000.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 AM

371 posts, read 1,469,253 times
They have plans to raise it to 250K-I don't have alot of cash either way but whatever makes things better for this country-I am all for it!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,195,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
Actually raising the FDIC limits would go a long way towards calming the nerves of investors and settling down banks. I had an account with approx $150,000 with one of the solid banks. But I still opened another account and moved $50,000. There are a lot of small businesses that have high balances from time to time and all this media hysteria is scaring people into moving money around like they never have before. This is disruptive as banks have a hard time to keep track of their capital when it happens on a large scale.

I say raise it to $500,000.
I hope you put the 50k into another bank. It's my understanding of the FDIC laws it's a per account PER BANK coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics