Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
It's in the extended cut.
The dance mix!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I believe this will be a one-year thing to honor the 100th anniversary of Lincoln's face being placed on coins. I also believe (as of this year), it now costs approximately 1.2 cents to mint a penny, and 5.7 cents to mint a nickel. So, I would guess the 2009 Penny will certainly cost more to mint than the value of the coin. Is this all consistent with our nation being broke?
I read that it can cost between .98 and 1.7 to produce the penny depending on what the zinc/copper market is doing at the time they purchase the futures.
Still it doesnt math up. Is there a NEED for a one year Lincoln penny, is it wise to produce this penny (then cost to return to old die) or is it for nostalgia. We cant afford nostalgia.

It kinda feels like the bridge to nowhere....

When in my business, we are not meeting budgets, we scale back and look at our products and offers differently since our target market has changed.
We must meet or exceed budgets, there is no "ooops" available to us and no magic money machine. We adjust our way of thinking about ourselves and lose the ego or we lose or business. I think a new penny is ego, and not a necessity for daily commerce.

This all feels more like Scooby Do then Schoolhouse Rock!
Zoinks!!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_1979 View Post
Yes but doing away with the penny would be an open admission that the Federal Reserve has been steadily inflating away the value of our currency.
even the lemmings who dont fully understand inflation understand a penny in 1905 bought more than one does today

Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM

"Another industrial ugly morning
The factory belches filth into the sky
He walks unhindered through the picket lines today
He doesn't think to wonder why
The secretaries pout and preen like cheap tarts on a red light street
But all he ever thinks to do is watch
And every single meeting with his so-called superior
Is a humiliating kick in the crotch
Many miles away something crawls to the surface of a dark Scottish lake

Another working day has ended
Only the rush hour hell to face
Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes
Contestants in a suicidal race
Daddy grips the wheel and stares alone into the distance
He knows that something somewhere has to break
He sees the family home now looming in the headlights
The pain upstairs that makes his eyeballs ache"

~ Sting

Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Is there a NEED for a one year Lincoln penny, is it wise to produce this penny (then cost to return to old die) or is it for nostalgia. We cant afford nostalgia.
I kinda like the look of the wheat and indian head penny. That's not a bad idea.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:37 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,434 times
The need to make a new penny. It currently costs MORE to make a penny than it's worth because of the rise in precious metals. I think new pennies should be made with a cheaper metal, and all current copper ones should be melted down and the copper liquidated.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
The need to make a new penny. It currently costs MORE to make a penny than it's worth because of the rise in precious metals. I think new pennies should be made with a cheaper metal, and all current copper ones should be melted down and the copper liquidated.
It's a rise in the price of base metals not precious metals. Doesn't get much more base than zinc. There's very little copper in a penny, just enough to make it look like copper. We need to start burning lots of FRN's as they come back in to deflate the money supply.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,434 times
Quote:
It's a rise in the price of base metals not precious metals.
Sorry, you're correct. IDK what I was thinking!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
penny should have long been done away with
Careful what you wish for..When our currency was decimalised in the 70s we lost out..The new 1p was worth 2 1/2 of the old ones..As the new 1/2p was the smallest denomination anything around that cost suddenly went up 25%..The cost of things wouldn`t go down to the nearest nickel without a penny in use but up..The $1.99 wouldn`t go to $1.95 would it??Sounds a piffling amount I know. Multiply it over a nation and the figures become huge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics