Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Very true.... one of the news articles mentioned some dems in the House are not pleased that it will not include some previsions they had put into the earlier House version. So while the Senate may well pass it...it will have to go to the House. Kind of backwards the way it is supposed to be...

Dan
This might be happening this way to prop the markets up tomorrow on more hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
This is ridiculous. The energy tax incentive bill is one that already exists (EPAct) but is set to expire the end of this year. It allows for very generous incentives for businesses to upgrade their equipment to become energy efficient. But the renewal/2nd generation bill has been hung up in Congress this whole year. And now this. This is not going to be good for a LOT of businesses if this energy bill doesn't get passed. And no, I think attaching another version of the bailout to it is just insane.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
It's gunna pass whether we want it to or not. Voting machines are easily defrauded. Incumbency for those who sell out their constituents will be protected by the monied aristocracy. We need a march on Washington to show the Illuminati that we aren't going down without a fight.
Where's my tinfoil hat??? I'm getting scanned by the government, they're looking at what I'm thinking...nooooooo.....
Yesterday I spoke with the farm supply place down the road and they'd just sold a ton of barb wire to a guy with a crew cut, must have been for the FEMA concentration camp construction..
Or it could just be to fence in cattle but I doubt it, I think the crew cut guy is one of them.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
This is ridiculous. The energy tax incentive bill is one that already exists (EPAct) but is set to expire the end of this year. It allows for very generous incentives for businesses to upgrade their equipment to become energy efficient. But the renewal/2nd generation bill has been hung up in Congress this whole year. And now this. This is not going to be good for a LOT of businesses if this energy bill doesn't get passed. And no, I think attaching another version of the bailout to it is just insane.
This is classic pork-barrel politics. I thought Sen. McCain was against this .

Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
This is classic pork-barrel politics. I thought Sen. McCain was against this .

He says he is. Even if that's true, he's only one guy.

This energy bill has so much other pork attached to it that it's been stalled in Congress since the beginning of the year. And now they want to attach a controversial bailout rider? Yikes. I'm hoping this will make it even more difficult to pass this thing.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
Joe Scarborough is suggesting that House leaders threaten to throw people off committees (like Ways & Means) unless they vote in favor of the bill this time.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Time to lynch some bureaucrats.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:34 PM

76 posts, read 235,870 times
Wow, some California senator just got up and stated she recieved over 91k calls/emails/faxes, 85k of which opposed the bill. What's interesting is that she stated she doesn't think the constituents (us) understand this is a new bill and therefore she wants to vote yes for it since people are wanting loans for houses and their small businesses. So she is going against what the majority of her people want, this is exactly why our political leaders are out of touch with the people - way to represent the people that voted you into office.

*Update*
Kay Bailey Hutchinson is also in agreement in thinking everyone calling them or letting their senators know they are against this bill, that this is the same bailout plan that congress voted no against. They are claiming because they have added more oversight and limits etc.. along with taxpayer protection (right) that this is what we need and Senators are responsible for keeping our economy going therefore they should vote yes. Once again this is going against what her office told me when I called, they stated the vast majority is calling for an opposition.

Like I stated in another post, if you oppose any of these bills you need to state that you oppose the current draft of the bill so they know what we are voting for or against and can't make excuses by stating they *thought* we didn't know the difference. Or tell them you are for/against any bill that is brought up for this.

Last edited by reverse; 10-01-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Here's an interesting piece..this bill does not require that the underlying asset secured by the mortgages the Fed proposes to buy even has to be in the US !!

The wording is so vague that they can filter almost anything through this bill if there is a mortgage attached and the bank that issued the mortgage has an office in the US.

All this derivative junk are attached to mortgages. Dang..the Fed plans to bail out the world at our expense.

The Market Ticker

From the bill..read..no "United States" in there:
"(9) TROUBLED ASSETS.—The term ‘‘troubled assets’’ means— (A) residential or commercial mortgagesand any securities, obligations, or other instruments that are based on or related to suchmortgages, that in each case was originated or issued on or before March 14, 2008, the purchase of which the Secretary determines promotes financial market stability;
and
(B) any other financial instrument that theSecretary, after consultation with the Chairmanof the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, determines the purchase of whichis necessary to promote financial market stability, but only upon transmittal of such determination, in writing, to the appropriate committees of Congress.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Bailout passes Senate, House foes soften - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/financial_meltdown - broken link)

(Shakes head.) Makes me sad.

Fook it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics