Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It all depends on your income level, just like in the US.
whoa, wait a minute. So you are telling me that people in other countries actually have like TVs and and internet and stuffs? Like in London do they have real rich people and things like that? that can't be, I thought only America had fancy contraptions and high standards of living.

[/sarcasm]

we Americans are so insulated its scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 04:34 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Book-mark this thread and come back about 5-6 years from now and tell us what you think after you've been unemployed for 2-3 years with no prospect whatsoever of future employment.
The sky is falling

Old 10-05-2008, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I think we are staying here...but we have been considering moving for the last couple of years. We have our own business that could be run from anywhere and have UK, Swiss and USA citizenship so we have a lot of choices. No where really seems to offer the opportunity / safety we have in the US even with all the current issues. Every time we seriously consider another state / country we come back to what we have here is the best of all worlds for us (except for the super high cost of living).
I too have thought about bailing out, thankfully we can go to Israel and pretty much be citizens as soon as we touch down. I just can't get past the safety thing as well but it's an option if need be...

Old 10-05-2008, 07:20 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It all depends on your income level, just like in the US.
There are few places in the world that you can't live well if you have enough money. Really depends on how you can afford to live.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:20 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Well they are the ones that need to do research then. Standards and quality of life outside the US are not up to par. If they want something "cheaper," they should just move to any Southern state.
They "should" do whatever works best for them. You are free to live in a cheap Southern state, but others can make their own decisions, based on their own situations.

If you think standards and quality of life in every other country are subpar to the U.S. today-- before living within one's means returns-- you haven't traveled enough. You act like the entire world is a Banana Republic, and the U.S. is the only beacon of civility. There are many wonderful places to live, America included.

It's fine that you have a different opinion. But The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Money Magazine, Fortune, Forbes, Smart Money, Kiplinger, Business Week-- need I go on?-- have been reporting retiring outside the U.S. as a growing trend for several years now. It is a trend, some people are doing it, more people will do it and a lot of people are liking it. To pretend otherwise is pointlessly argumentative.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
There is a growing exodus to Mexico of US retiree's due to healthcare costs and pensions/SS not keeping up.

This article was written in 2006:

Migration Information Source - America's Emigrants: US Retirement Migration to Mexico and Panama

Old 10-05-2008, 01:02 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is a growing exodus to Mexico of US retiree's due to healthcare costs and pensions/SS not keeping up.

This article was written in 2006:

Migration Information Source - America's Emigrants: US Retirement Migration to Mexico and Panama
My brother just moved to San Miguel de Allende. Yes, cost of living, particularly health care cost, is the number one reason. It's the money, folks. Cost of living is more expensive here. Other than that the USSA is still second to none.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
That would be my last choice. High taxes go to pay the living costs of religious students who don't work. Cities like Tel Aviv are expensive to live in. You can live on occupied territory to get cheap land though--good luck with that.
In addition, if the US goes down, Israel does too. It would have to find another patron, fast--Russia is really the only option for them. But they're unlikely to get $3 billion a year from Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I too have thought about bailing out, thankfully we can go to Israel and pretty much be citizens as soon as we touch down. I just can't get past the safety thing as well but it's an option if need be...

Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Seems there are two forks in this discussion- people who say they're going to leave for while of working age, and those who consider retirement abroad. Big difference, I'd say, and there are those who think they will avoid the rioting starving masses by leaving the U.S. Seems to me if starving rioting masses are a problem here, they'd sure be a problem in less affluent countries, in fact they are now (See Under: Brazil/Haiti/ anywhere with that much disparity between wealthy and poor).
And I'm curious about the post regarding "Alaska- too hard to track you down." It's my understanding that a great majority of property in Alaska is federal land, and it's maybe three percent of the land available for people to live on- that it's a daydream that people can disappear into the wild (and stay alive). Opinions?

Old 10-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
It's possible for a skilled survivalist to squat in a remote part of Alaska, but one would have to be willing to live on little else than meat, fish, berries, and pine needle tea. Also, one would have remain largely confined to a heatable shelter for at least half the year, and be able to make that shelter mosquito and fly resistant during the summer. There's not much quality of life in doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics