Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,782 times

Advertisements

wow.... enough said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Yes, tommorow is another very tough day for us. The world markets are CRASHING! They are in uncontrolled freefall! This is turning out to be mayhem.
Why aren't these clowns in our government doing something, they are the ones who said everything is going to be fine.

Nikkei down almost 10%

Indonesia has halted trading after spiraling 10%

I'm generally an optimist and it's not the end of the world but BAD BAD BAD times ahead!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Yes, tommorow is another very tough day for us. The world markets are CRASHING! They are in uncontrolled freefall!

Nikkei down almost 7%

Indonesia has halted trading after spiraling 10%

I'm generally an optimist and it's not the end of the world but BAD BAD BAD times ahead!!!
Who is this "us?"

I don't own stocks, and don't really want to finance or fund the corporations they represent.

I do not think I am that untypical of many Americans. So how is this a bad day for "us?"

Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Philip, I am speaking about the American people most of whom have portfolios comprised of mutual funds and stocks.

I don't own any stocks either, I liquidated everything last October at the VERY top of the market and haven't lost a dime. By some good fortune I also switched jobs at the exact same time and got the opportunity to rollover my 401k to an IRA which I left in cash reserves uninvested because the market seemed like a bubble. Fortunately my hunches turned out in my favor

BUT, if the markets keep imploding like this we may not have a JOB pretty soon!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Philip, I am speaking about the American people most of whom have portfolios comprised of mutual funds and stocks.

I don't own any stocks either, I liquidated everything last October at the VERY top of the market and haven't lost a dime. By some good fortune I also switched jobs at the exact same time and got the opportunity to rollover my 401k to an IRA which I left in cash reserves uninvested because the market seemed like a bubble. Fortunately my hunches turned out in my favor

BUT, if the markets keep imploding like this we may not have a JOB pretty soon!
Not from what I follow -- only half or less have "portfolios comprised of mutual funds and stocks."

Not that it really matters to me, but here is typical reference amount -- WikiAnswers - What percentage of Americans own stock

That says around half, and it is the not the half I tend to have too much concern for.

Not too worried about the job thing either -- this mess has been called out for years in advance. Shifted towards energy and food a couple years after studying Peak Oil. I figure I will wind up feeding some 100 others if things go really South.

Even if energy and bs bank accounting had not taken the stock market down, it would have collapsed as soon as boomers tried to retire on this crap, anyway.

It is just like water seeking its own level. In truth it is worthless, and just becoming what it is.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:35 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
What do you think the government should do? The equity markets are too big for the government to fix. Like housing the equity markets will correct to their fundamental value. Stocks won't fall forever as at some point the dividends will look rather attractive.

The sad (or funny....depending how you look at it) is that a lot of people over 50 are heavily invested in the stock market. Even mainstream finance does not recommend this....yet they did it hoping for riches. Anyhow, a lot of people are going to have to learn the hard way that a risk free 9% a year return does not exist.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
What do you think the government should do?
Maybe for once the government should do NOTHING.

Everything the gov't touches gets all screwed up. Leave it alone!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
What do you think the government should do? The equity markets are too big for the government to fix. Like housing the equity markets will correct to their fundamental value. Stocks won't fall forever as at some point the dividends will look rather attractive.

The sad (or funny....depending how you look at it) is that a lot of people over 50 are heavily invested in the stock market. Even mainstream finance does not recommend this....yet they did it hoping for riches. Anyhow, a lot of people are going to have to learn the hard way that a risk free 9% a year return does not exist.
The G started this mess with the whole 401K, Keogh and all the rest of the "retirement / investment" rot that was used as a taxation backdoor to get the working slobs to mindlessly turn over their money to the brokers -- sort of like GW's wet dream fantasy about jacking Social Security and sending it to the stock market and brokers. [Can you imagine if the idiots had pulled that scam? Let me hear again about the wonders of the free market and uber capitalism]

Get the G (and the working slobs) out of "investing" in wantabe bling bling wigger mindset corporate d-bags, and let the chips -- blue chips, included -- fall where they may.

Does anyone here really think the typical CEO gives a rat's @ss beyond their next set of stock options? Let the options and CEOs assume their true value.

btw, as far as returns on money -- I routinely give returns of around 20% annual to folks that put money into my business operations, and never place them at undue risk.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
The G started this mess with the whole 401K, Keogh and all the rest of the "retirement / investment" rot that was used as a taxation backdoor to get the working slobs to mindlessly turn over their money to the brokers -- sort of like GW's wet dream fantasy about jacking Social Security and sending it to the stock market and brokers.
Yeah, the social security system is in much better shape? There is nothing wrong with 401(k) etc, the problem is people are investing in get rich schemes. They are doing things that even mainstream financial advisers would not recommend. But at the end of the day, I would much rather save my for my retirement then let the government do it for me. They after all haven't done a very good job. The problem is not 401(k), etc its that people are too heavily invested in stocks. You don't need to own a single stock in your 401(k).

Quote:
btw, as far as returns on money -- I routinely give returns of around 20% annual to folks that put money into my business operations, and never place them at undue risk.
Yes, because investing in your business is some how different than investing in publicly traded companies on the stock exchanges......

Quote:
Does anyone here really think the typical CEO gives a rat's @ss beyond their next set of stock options? Let the options and CEOs assume their true value.
And in what sense are the CEO not getting their true value? Nobody forces a company to pay its CEO millions. Should we start to regulate CEO pay? Should we regulate how much profit you can make in your business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics