Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:27 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I meet a LOT of people who don't want to hear the bad news. They want to continue on, business as usual, and pretend the entire storm will blow over. I feel bad for some of these folks, because they really aren't going to know what hit them.

For myself, I'm going to spend the weekend canning whatever foods I can.
That's sort of been my philosophy: that maybe many people are in denial? I mean, we're not in the soup lines but we're not exactly walking in high cotton. I too have been buying in bulk, cooking at home, canning, making my own bread (you can buy flour for the price of a loaf of bread). I am used to living below my means due to my upbringing, so these behaviors aren't really a life change for me. I don't purchase anything on credit other than airline tickets/travel related expenses and those get paid ain full at the end of the month. I pity those who will really have to make the adjustments in lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Nice Cinderella list!

You forgot one word: YET.

That is perfect.

OK kids word of the day is...............................YET.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Obama is likely to get assassinated anyway. No matter who wins this election, this nation is screwed. The illuminati run the show now. Head for the hills with your guns and your stills.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
The unemployment rate in the depression was 25%. So would you say that 75% were not affected by the depression?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM

936 posts, read 3,191,409 times
people can shop all they want. they can watch movies all they want. they can eat at restaurants, go to theme parks, hang out at pubs and clubs, go bowling, go shopping, buy laptops and plasmas, hell, they can even go on a euro-trip. it doesn't matter. people can do whatever they want as long as they have credit cards and a small savings. the long term fundamentals is what dictates the economy and the market it supports.

whether or not we are in a recession right now, that's beyond the point. we are in a rough economic slowdown, the governments fake 6.1% unemployment rate is really over 10% (probably more around 12-15% based on private employment analysts), gdp is really negative (the government doesn't subtract certain expenses/liabilities in its number just to manipulate the real gdp), foreclosures are in record numbers, the national debt is growing at an unprecedented rate, the fed is cutting the prime rate again like crazy and the trillion dollar bailout plus war in iraq will eventually hyperinflate the US dollar in a couple of months when all of these bailouts and newly low interest rate set in. the value of the us dollar will fall off the chart and americans will be even MORE poor on paper... yep! that's what's gonna happen.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am thinking about getting a bunch of credit cards and buying all the good things I have wanted. You know, a new motorcycle, a really big TV with super stereo, and maybe a big house with lots of fertile land. I'll buy stuff that will last a couple of decades or so. Then when the system completely crashes and they cancel all debt I'll be set.

With my luck they will only let the big boys’ cash out for free and the rest of us will still have to pay our debts so I guess I’ll just continue living within my means. Darn.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Obama is likely to get assassinated anyway. No matter who wins this election, this nation is screwed. The illuminati run the show now. Head for the hills with your guns and your stills.
Yeah, o.k., riiiiight...hmmm.....I think we have had enough Texas wisdom the last 8 years....I'll just refrain from heading for the hills for now...k?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:44 AM

316 posts, read 692,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Yes, indeed. The Republicans are bailing water out of this sinking ship just long enough to get you fools to vote McCain in office.
And they're using a dixie cup !

WALLSTREET IS GO'IN DOWN 2008 !
http://img520.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (broken link)

Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Nice Cinderella list!

You forgot one word: YET.
+1. It ain't over till the fat lady gets laid off - when unemployment peaks, reality will hit most ordinary people. We're already having some pain from foreclosures, but even that is still in the beginning stages. Most young people won't be able to afford a first home or get a mortgage, most older folk won't be able to retire in comfort and style.

I know an older retired couple who just made the decision to sell their nice, comfortable house he had designed and built. They're going to downsize to a trailer, because their investments aren't going to be earning enough income to stay in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Man,talk about having your head stuffed in the sand. In the words of GWB "This sucker is going down".
It's hard to say with him, but I think the President was referring to Barney Frank.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's hard to say with him, but I think the President was referring to Barney Frank.
Haha ... I may be a Lib-leaner in support of him, but I'll recognize a good, clever jab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics