U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,047,443 times

Advertisements

I'm presently in the market for a new kitchen stove. The kind that I want costs anywhere from $2000 to $2500. The kind that I can afford costs from $1000 to $1500. With the economy being what it is, credit is drying up. People are being denied loans. Credit cards are having there limits lowered. I believe things like large appliances are mostly bought on credit. What do you more business savvy people think? If credit continues to be tight and my theory is correct about appliances being mostly bought on credit. Will things like kitchen stoves drop in price enough to warrant delaying my purchase to try and get more for my money? I'll be buying with cash. The stove I have still works, I'm just looking to upgrade so I'm in no real hurry although my wife is getting anxious. Thanks for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 AM

5,098 posts, read 8,620,949 times
Paying with cash makes you a good customer. Shop around for a good deal while your stove still works, and just buy it when you find one. It's a stove. I would recommend that people wait if was a house or a business.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Thanks for your response davidt1. So what you are saying is that major appliances are so far down at the low end of the durable goods spectrum that they won't have their prices affected by the currennt economic enviroment?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 AM

20,544 posts, read 27,475,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I'm presently in the market for a new kitchen stove. The kind that I want costs anywhere from $2000 to $2500. The kind that I can afford costs from $1000 to $1500. With the economy being what it is, credit is drying up. People are being denied loans. Credit cards are having there limits lowered. I believe things like large appliances are mostly bought on credit. What do you more business savvy people think? If credit continues to be tight and my theory is correct about appliances being mostly bought on credit. Will things like kitchen stoves drop in price enough to warrant delaying my purchase to try and get more for my money? I'll be buying with cash. The stove I have still works, I'm just looking to upgrade so I'm in no real hurry although my wife is getting anxious. Thanks for your input.
I have never bought any appliances using credit. As a business/financial savvy person I would never buy a stove for that kind of money. Are you a chef? Is your wife? I can think of a lot better things to do with your money. But if you really want it and you can afford it(I'm assuming you have no debt, no mortgage, and savings for retirement) then go for it.

I don't think prices will drop by much but I would always shop around. Prices can vary greatly from store to store. My gas stove came in less at my propane company than either Lowe's, HD, or the Internet.

Lisa

Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 AM

11,294 posts, read 46,261,926 times
Durable goods manufacturers are already absorbing a lot of cost increases of raw materials.

If the retail demand goes down due to a lessened market, I don't think you'll see a corresponding drop in prices anytime soon.

But I would question the wisdom of buying today an expensive "want" with credit compared to a real "need" with cash at this time. If the stove you have now is functioning well, why go into debt to replace it?

Also, while there may be some "features" or cosmetics of value to you in such an expensive residential stove, it's interesting to note CU's take on stoves over the last three test year test report cycles .... where $500 stoves either outperformed or performed as well for the cooking/baking functions as stoves costing several times as much.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,399,273 times
My wife and I also always purchase big ticket items using cash. It may take a little long to save up the cash but we don't have to worry about paying a bank 25% interest.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM

5,098 posts, read 8,620,949 times
The OP said he will be buying with cash.

It's HERE:

"I'll be buying with cash."

Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM

20,544 posts, read 27,475,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The OP said he will be buying with cash.

It's HERE:

"I'll be buying with cash."

Still doesn't mean he can afford it!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:30 AM

86,068 posts, read 76,144,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
If it ain't broke..don't fix it. Upgrading is a luxury not a necessity.
Continue saving..wait til it breaks.

That's what I'm doing with my applicances. I'd love to get a front load washer..but mine is perfectly fine so I'll just wait. Once it really breaks down big (12 years old so sooner or later it will be a big ticket item to replace) then I will get a new one.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks for all of your responses. I guess what I need to point out here is this appliance is a built in range with a built in overhead 2.2 cu ft oven. I'm pretty sure the home came equipt with it when the house was built. That would be about 1966. It has broken many times and I have fixed it many times. The reason I keep fixing it when it breaks down is because this is not just a kitchen stove swap. It's more akin to a kitchen remodel to go from what we now have to a free standing stove. This situation would would be much better remedied with a planned project than a emergency fix. Rest assured, I'm well aware of what I can and can't afford as well as the difference between wants and needs. Which is why I'm in a position to pay cash for this project. Having said that, I don't claim to be a whiz on Wall Street but it accurred to me that prices on appliances might be fixing to take a drop or maybe not. Tha was my original question. So far the general feel seems to be 'not anytime soon' and/or 'not by very much'. Anybody have a different take on this? Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or