Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,373,586 times

Advertisements

The government already approved $25 billion in loans to automakers:

Bush Approves Automaker Loan Program: But Will It Arrive in Time? - BusinessWeek

Although Ford already leveraged most of their assets to get through the next few years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/27/bu...rtner=homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:11 PM

572 posts, read 2,487,592 times
The problem I have with GM is you never know if it was a good year or a bad year. Some years the cars are good and others they are not. I am not going to buy a GM and have it be a bad year. They need to build a good car EVERY year for the next 10 years. Honda has done it Toyota has done it why cant GM

Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,304,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why..Toyota and Honda both have better gas-mileage vehicles than either GM or Ford.

We shouldn't bail GM just because "it's GM".
Correct... we shouldn't because it's "GM" or because it is also not necessary either. There are many things that can be done to improve GM's position with Gov intervention... the words "bail out" are turning into a fad...

If GM and F told big oil to stick it up their *ss and did things the way they should, there wouldn't be any problems... Just my opinion

Old 10-09-2008, 07:22 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,304,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
The government already approved $25 billion in loans to automakers:

Bush Approves Automaker Loan Program: But Will It Arrive in Time? - BusinessWeek

Although Ford already leveraged most of their assets to get through the next few years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/27/bu...rtner=homepage
Pocket Change....

Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM

990 posts, read 2,559,478 times
When we throw billions of Dollars at G.M. and Ford. Aren't we simply rewarding failure.

How is this any different than the C.E.O. of companies about to go bankrupt being given golden parachutes for poor performance, and being paid millions to leave the failing companies?

It seems to me that the consumer makes the ultimate decision of which companies should stay in business, and which should fold their tents.

What happens when the government throws billions at the car companies, and people still don't buy because of poor quality? Throw even more money at them.

Now... that's how I wish they would "punish" me.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,310,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
When we throw billions of Dollars at G.M. and Ford. Aren't we simply rewarding failure.

How is this any different than the C.E.O. of companies about to go bankrupt being given golden parachutes for poor performance, and being paid millions to leave the failing companies?

It seems to me that the consumer makes the ultimate decision of which companies should stay in business, and which should fold their tents.

What happens when the government throws billions at the car companies, and people still don't buy because of poor quality? Throw even more money at them.

Now that's how I wish they would "punish" me.
You are so right! Why pump money into a failing company that shows little sign of surviving long-term. If the company, regardless of size, is meant to fail - let it fail...and everyone will be better off in the long run. It will hurt when it happens, but everyone will survive and the country as a whole will be better for it.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
I am affraid that the loan will go bad because GM hasn't really done anyhting since the 70's except depend on large truck sales. All the while signing huge union contracts that may just mean money out teh doolar faster thahn they can make it.We have one dealer here who has dropped GM from the loine of vehicles it sells.All the dealers that were once GM and Ford have added two to threee additional brands of kporean and japanese vehicle to their sales lineup in recent years.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,842,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
GM vehicles are just terrible. I rented one couple yrs ago, never again! The build quality was so bad there was a gap between the power window button where I could see wires inside...pathetic!

I'll never buy a GM product again, and I highly recommend to every one I meet that they don't buy one, either.

They screwed my 65 year old mom, you see....

(And your eyes just got 10 times bigger.)

My mom's truck used Dex Cool. Dex Cool has issues. It breaks down before it is supposed to. My mom had her coolant checked/fluids checked/car servced at a GM shop about 3 weeks before her water pump went kaput.

My best friend - a mechanic - (and, a family friend) changed her water pump out on a Sunday. She needed it for work the next day, you see...and had called him because her truck had overheated. When he came out he took a look at her cooling system and said "I can see why." The cooling system was basically full of brownish mud. It had destroyed the bearings in her water pump.

She took pictures of it and tried to get her money back from GM for the cost of the repair (100 bucks to my buddy for 4 hours of work...that is CHEAP for a mechanic) + the price of the water pump and associated crap...I'd imagine some blue glue and a water pump gasket.)

GM told her to shove it up her ass. GM said that she should've followed the maintenance guide and checked her fluids.

SHE HAS A FREAKING RECEIPT SHOWING SHE HAD HER CAR SERVICED AND FLUIDS CHECKED 3 WEEKS BEFORE IT FAILED. What GM tried to say was that the fluid was perfectly fine and that it changed into muddy colored oatmeal in 3 weeks.

Oh, come the f*** on.

Many emails later, she got tired of fighting and sucked up the cost. GM lost a customer from her, me, and the 100 people ...perhaps a 1,000 now...that I am saying this here... that were affected by this.

I will never buy a GM product. I've had two Hondas. A 2000 Accord, 140,000 miles and going strong, and a 2007 Civic.. They've both had minor issues. Taken care of fast, and with hell..Free donuts, a free ride home and back in the van and a "How can I help you Right the F now, sir?" every time I've had an issue.

F*** GM. F*** GM with a lot of passion.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Its not like it was GM's fault for doing what they did... well, not "completely" GMs fault... it was corruption at the business level with businesses colluding with businesses and government to STEAL from taxpayers... GM developed SUVs and they sold very well initially but obviously tanked later on... Making SUVs cannot (I repeat, CANNOT doom an entire company)... there are many other variables in play... GM HAD an opportunity to make more fuel efficient cars and they were PAID OFF in millions and millions of dollars by oil countries to NOT do just that... that kept oil in demand and GM didn't care because they were selling cars faster... The US government thought, lets make oil cheaper by invading Iraq and afterwards creating contracts for taking that oil so that oil would trade at $25 a barrel (after all, all the countries rich in oil hate the USA so screw them... Bush logic)... it didn't turn out that way, oil skyrocketed and GM started to make more fuel efficient cars and there ARE those cars for sale now but... nobody is buying because of expensive gas... now we go into the economic turmoil... GM obviously could survive the run on oil prices and compete and hold off the lack of buying but they need to borrow and borrow LOADS AND LOADS of cash to survive until the economy recover... that didn't happen... Now GM is in dire straits, lack of money, lack of selling, and you still have to pay all these workers and materials producing stuff that nobody wants... You can't simply "stop" and take a breather... Now GM stocks are plummeting which means they have even less reserve to survive and need to borrow even more... who wants to lend to a company with a greater than 50% chance of failing? Who wants to lend to small businesses to keep them buying and paying a payroll when these small businesses have a 90% chance of failing? The government says, it will back a lot of these small business loans because it needs to keep people employed so they can pay their bills on stuff they overextended themselves on... The government is making in essence the situation worse... You have overextension of credit and you want to give more credit to a small business that is certainly GOING to fail? Why would they fail? CAUSE NOBODY IS BUYING! And NOBODY should buy crap... the recession started a long time ago and so here we are today... the easiest fix would to let tons and tons of small businesses fail and leave millions and millions of people unemployed (AKA the Great Depression part 2) or we can prop up failing small and large businesses to the tune of TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS of dollars... you thought 10 Trillion was a big number? You ain't seen nothing yet...

Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its not like it was GM's fault for doing what they did... well, not "completely" GMs fault... it was corruption at the business level with businesses colluding with businesses and government to STEAL from taxpayers... GM developed SUVs and they sold very well initially but obviously tanked later on... Making SUVs cannot (I repeat, CANNOT doom an entire company)... there are many other variables in play... GM HAD an opportunity to make more fuel efficient cars and they were PAID OFF in millions and millions of dollars by oil countries to NOT do just that... that kept oil in demand and GM didn't care because they were selling cars faster... The US government thought, lets make oil cheaper by invading Iraq and afterwards creating contracts for taking that oil so that oil would trade at $25 a barrel (after all, all the countries rich in oil hate the USA so screw them... Bush logic)... it didn't turn out that way, oil skyrocketed and GM started to make more fuel efficient cars and there ARE those cars for sale now but... nobody is buying because of expensive gas... now we go into the economic turmoil... GM obviously could survive the run on oil prices and compete and hold off the lack of buying but they need to borrow and borrow LOADS AND LOADS of cash to survive until the economy recover... that didn't happen... Now GM is in dire straits, lack of money, lack of selling, and you still have to pay all these workers and materials producing stuff that nobody wants... You can't simply "stop" and take a breather... Now GM stocks are plummeting which means they have even less reserve to survive and need to borrow even more... who wants to lend to a company with a greater than 50% chance of failing? Who wants to lend to small businesses to keep them buying and paying a payroll when these small businesses have a 90% chance of failing? The government says, it will back a lot of these small business loans because it needs to keep people employed so they can pay their bills on stuff they overextended themselves on... The government is making in essence the situation worse... You have overextension of credit and you want to give more credit to a small business that is certainly GOING to fail? Why would they fail? CAUSE NOBODY IS BUYING! And NOBODY should buy crap... the recession started a long time ago and so here we are today... the easiest fix would to let tons and tons of small businesses fail and leave millions and millions of people unemployed (AKA the Great Depression part 2) or we can prop up failing small and large businesses to the tune of TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS of dollars... you thought 10 Trillion was a big number? You ain't seen nothing yet...
They were the first auto company to start the 0% financing. How on earth is that a good business plan? I just think they are a poorly run company that builds crap, but that's just my opinion and I would never buy one of their cars again.

We used to have a corvette that had problems witn the hatch, it didn't close all the way. Anyway, at the time we were watching a TV special at a GM factory. One of the higher ups went over to the car and closed the trunk- it didn't close all the way. The worker actually said, on TV, "you have leave one of the front doors open for the trunk to close all the way". That was a problem for years on those cars. That's just a very small example but obviously GM doesn't give a crap about quality. And they want top dollar for that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics