U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:15 PM

20,545 posts, read 27,693,190 times

Advertisements

That has got to be the dumbest "business" plan I have ever heard of. There is no way that pensions could ever work in the long hall. Why would I want to continue paying for someone who no longer works for me? That is just plain dumb.

Pay employees a decent amount and let them be responsible for their own retirement.

Same goes for social security. I just don't believe in not being responsible for myself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 03:28 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,842,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That has got to be the dumbest "business" plan I have ever heard of. There is no way that pensions could ever work in the long hall. Why would I want to continue paying for someone who no longer works for me? That is just plain dumb.

Pay employees a decent amount and let them be responsible for their own retirement.

Same goes for social security. I just don't believe in not being responsible for myself.
It's not a dumb idea if you are an employee giving your working life away for your company and need to count on something to retire. It's not a dumb idea when your company makes millions from your idea, design, or invention and gives something back in return. It's a not idea dumb idea when a company wants to share its prosperity with the employees.

But it looks like you got your wish. Companies are doing away with pensions. Instead, they have been offering employees 401K programs for many years now. Look how well that has turned out for many people. But they are not doing this because they generous and kind. I won't tell you the real reason because I am still hoping somebody here will able to put 2 + 2 together someday.

Edit: military personnel and government employees still get very generous pensions.

Last edited by davidt1; 10-09-2008 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,262,912 times
I have a pension and 14 more years to go......thank god we have a pension and are not left alone to invest our own money. We have a highly skilled pension advisory board that has our best interest in mind. Plus...it's guaranteed.

I feel sorry for people with no pensions that are left with investing on their own...they never do enough and that is why you unfortunately see people working in their 60's and 70's when they should have been retired a long time ago enjoying life. Sad

Old 10-09-2008, 03:55 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,424,553 times
Pension? Whats that? I never worked for a company which offered a pension. That was part of my parents and grand parents generations. Companies did away with them back in the 80's. Even back then no one really cared. Its all about making insane profits.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,938,886 times
Quote:

Lisa,

Wise words from someone who sounds like they are still living at home. Am I correct? Anyhow, no worries. Your wish will soon come true. No pensions and no social security for the future of our country.

Oh, and I hope you don't mind homeless people sleeping on your front lawn.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:17 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,424,553 times
Believe me I wish companies would give us a pension. Being responsible for your employees is good business, but we have lost that type of social responsibility.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:55 PM

5,409 posts, read 10,330,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Lisa,

Wise words from someone who sounds like they are still living at home. Am I correct? Anyhow, no worries. Your wish will soon come true. No pensions and no social security for the future of our country.

WWW, you called that one totally wrong.

She has went to the Eastern TN mountainside and they have their own off grid operation. Play nice and she might show you the pix (they are on the TN part of this site).

Overall, SS has a place for folks who get injured, are disabled and kids -- no way they could take care of themselves if they wanted -- but as retirement for folks who do even need the money, it is silly.

But it seems even sillier about fighting over the stay-quiet and in-your-place SS money for the peons (who fund it anyway) whilst the mulit-millionaires are looting multi-billions from the treasury, no?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 21,179,568 times
Quote:

Because you weren't smart enough to work for a good company with a pension, I retired wealthy and have the world by the balls, and where are you? worring about eating after you retire? I get my fat checks every month...
Oh, and I get SS on top of it..! I make more retired that working.... sorry you don't think ahead...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Lisa,

Nope. I'm 42 and my husband has been retired since he was 38 and no pension. He believes in taking care of his family and his own responsibilities.

My whole point was from a business stand point. Pensions can't work forever. They will bankrupt a company. If you don't like what your company offers you then don't work there.

I also never planned on social security so no loss there. Too bad I had to pay in.

Lisa

Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Because you weren't smart enough to work for a good company with a pension, I retired wealthy and have the world by the balls, and where are you? worring about eating after you retire? I get my fat checks every month...
Oh, and I get SS on top of it..! I make more retired that working.... sorry you don't think ahead...
How old were you when you retired? I haven't had to work since I was 30.

Didn't need a pension. My husband has been retired since he was 38 and we are loving life. He planned very well ahead. Thank you very much.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics