Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking advice and comments on state of economy, another great depression, theories on economic crisis, is economy doomed, the end of prosperity

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Rei Rei started this thread

494 posts, read 1,761,143 times

Advertisements

Just to counter the prediction on upcoming depression thread (//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ir-up-new.html)

Do you guys have any theory on why it's not possible for us to fall into another great depression? Or are we pretty much doomed???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,430 times
I think the answer to that is simply no one knows. We're hearing contradictory info from all the "experts", politicians, and talking heads. No one seems to know where we're going from here. In fact, it seems no one even knows what to say.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:14 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,937 times
we are headed towards collapse. I bought more ammo today. I have stockpiled food and I am packing now all the time

Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 AM

316 posts, read 692,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Just to counter the prediction on upcoming depression thread (//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ir-up-new.html)

Do you guys have any theory on why it's not possible for us to fall into another great depression? Or are we pretty much doomed???
I would say at this point nothing is IMPOSSIBLE?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
While nothing is impossible, the likelihood of Great Depression II is lessening, IMHO.

Usually, when something appears on the cover of Time or one of the big news magazines, it's about to be "so yesterday". And...Time just came out with a cover that said, ahem -

"The End Of Prosperity?"

Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 AM

316 posts, read 692,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
While nothing is impossible, the likelihood of Great Depression II is lessening, IMHO.

Usually, when something appears on the cover of Time or one of the big news magazines, it's about to be "so yesterday". And...Time just came out with a cover that said, ahem -

"The End Of Prosperity?"
The End of Prosperity? - TIME

Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,402 times
I don't think we'll hit Great Depression II. It may sound cool and all, but I don't think the central banks, and our government are going to let a total collapse of our current financial markets and main street.

More than likely, as they are already doing, they are going to pump/inject cash so the economy can stay afloat.

Ideally, they will follow a similar system as what Roubini outlined in his triage... systematically injecting cash into banks, taking equity stakes, letting some banks fail, and injecting cash into the household sector to reduce debt.
Prof Roubini prescribes first aid for America’s economy « Fabius Maximus

In a sense, the central governments will be taking from the rich, and giving it to the poor/in debited by devaluing the currencies. After all, it was the top 95% percentile that benefited the most out of the credit expansion and made it possible, and therefore, it'll be the top 95% percentile that should be punished the most.

I know this is not the popular opinion on the board. But, I feel that this is the most likely scenario.

-chuck22b

Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
In a sense, the central governments will be taking from the rich, and giving it to the poor/in debited by devaluing the currencies. After all, it was the top 95% percentile that benefited the most out of the credit expansion and made it possible, and therefore, it'll be the top 95% percentile that should be punished the most.
-chuck22b
I think you might have that backwards, chuck22b

Old 10-10-2008, 12:37 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think you might have that backwards, chuck22b
It depends on how the central banks and governments distribute the added cash/injections. Currently, they are mostly benefiting the rich with their injections into banks and buying up equity stakes.

Without helping out households and the middle class, more households will default and therefore cause more banks to default causing a continuous cycle of having to pump/inject capital to the banks/rich.

So, from what I can tell, they will have to at some point address households and the low/middle classes. They might soon start injecting cash towards the middle/lower classes with another round of stimulus checks (which helps the lower/middle classes more than the rich).

-chuck22b

Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
It depends on how the central banks and governments distribute the added cash/injections. Currently, they are mostly benefiting the rich with their injections into banks and buying up equity stakes.

Without helping out households and the middle class, more households will default and therefore cause more banks to default causing a continuous cycle of having to pump/inject capital to the banks/rich.

So, from what I can tell, they will have to at some point address households and the low/middle classes. They might soon start injecting cash towards the middle/lower classes with another round of stimulus checks (which helps the lower/middle classes more than the rich).

-chuck22b
Hi chuck22b,

You get it and good for you
If retirement accounts have gone down by 2 trillion and real state by more than that, not to mention commodities dropping like rocks I am really curious how a measly 1 trillion will cause an inflationary spiral? Really, I would love to have the mechanics of that explained to me.
Now what they are doing is again exactly as you say. Our assets are deflating and they are printing up theirs to stay afloat to buy up ours cheap. That is what is know as stealing.

Finally someone who sees clearly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics