Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 AM

316 posts, read 692,797 times

Advertisements

Italian Prime Minister Berlusconi said political leaders discussing idea of closing world's financial markets while they 'rewrite the rules of international finance'...
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
WTF ?? too much limoncello.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:32 AM

936 posts, read 3,191,010 times
communist nations are laughing at us as i write this

Old 10-10-2008, 10:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
LOL..they have no clue what to do..he's fanning the flame by making that announcement.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
I am not surprised.

I believe that another Bretton Woods type meeting very soon is within the realm of possibility.

Ron Paul predicted a breakdown of the current monetary system, his prediction is coming true.

The problem is that the current corrupt leaders in power will probably put nothing economically worthwhile in its place.

You have to understand that these people are greedy, even criminal, businessmen, they are not statesmen or economists.

Like it or not, you have to think on the level of their logic, not your own, and protect yourself accordingly as best you can.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I believe that another Bretton Woods type meeting very soon is within the realm of possibility.
I'm not surprised, either.

Bretton Woods is over 60 years old now, and the US dollar was backed by gold on the international markets back then. Now - there's no reason for it to be the world's reserve currency any more. It's not backed by anything, just like the rest of the currencies are not. So why should we get to export our inflation to the rest of the world? Why should oil be sold for petro-dollars?

I had read either on GATA or Jim Sinclair that the G-8 were going to meet this weekend, and that the world's markets might be shut down. Don't be surprised if there's a banking holiday, either. ATM's won't work, get your cash now, for a month or so.

This is some really serious trouble we are in, and probably there's more to it than any of us here know.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Well with the global economy it makes sense. But he seems to have a big mouth as he was telling about a G8 meeting when they were just discussing it yesterday. In the end it didn't happen and that isn't good for the marketspassing things on that don't happen.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
He recanted and the White House issued a statement.

No closing of the markets.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
communist nations are laughing at us as i write this
ROLTF

At this point so am I.

Won the Cold War, huh?

At this point we need to dig Ronald Reagan and put his butt up in the air so we can line up to kick him in the ass.

Merchants of Debt.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He recanted and the White House issued a statement.

No closing of the markets.
What credibility does the White House have?

Not that Sig. Berlusconi is the pillar of credibility, but last week, against the trend, he did announce that in reality several European governments would coordinate policy and, in the event, this has occurred to a certain extent: most major and some minor European governments now have laws in place to guarantee deposits and inject capital into banks, taking (actually retaking) partial ownership in them, including Italy and Spain.

So, again, do not rule out a suspension of markets, though with some kind of liquidity guarantee, while the half-cocked businessmen that run the world sit around a table and come up with new monetary arrangements, mainly to protect their own interests, and then to protect the interests of the masses to the extent that it serves their own interests.

I don't believe that means cutting off cash for day-to-day transactions and mass starvation.

But maybe it does? Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Just in case, I do have about a month's worth of food reserves and I plan to keep accumulating.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics