Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:55 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
It's very easy to say now that what Peter is saying isn't rocket science - because it's HAPPENING RIGHT NOW - but two years ago the conventional wisdom was that he was a fool.
No, a lot of people knew what was going to happen. All anyone had to do was look around and talk to people and know there was too much debt in the system. That part was pretty simple.

A lot of people also knew about the CD swaps and the junk securities, but you see, nobody listened.

And even now, people aren't listening to the warnings about government deregulation, who this money is going to, and what this means for the future of our government and life as we know it.

Most people I talk to still seem to think we're in some kind of business cycle that is going to automatically correct itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 12:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
That's what I want to know..who is getting the bailout money.
Simple question that not one person in the government will answer.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post

Most people I talk to still seem to think we're in some kind of business cycle that is going to automatically correct itself.
It will automatically correct itself if the government stops this ludicrous bailout, stops flooding the system with money, lets delinquent institutions and individuals go bankrupt, allows asset prices to return to rational levels and lowers taxes across the board.

Otherwise, I agree. We're in for some major long-term pain.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Well, if you say it long enough, it is bound to happen one of these days if you live long enough.

Can somebody tell me if I heard this right. I probably will not get this right because when I heard it my mouth feel open from disbelief. So here is the question: Did our legislature stick a package on this bailout to give to people who want to buy cars, but otherwise would not be able to do so.

Didn't this whole thing happen because people were given loans on houses they could not afford. So doing the same thing with cars is supposed to help it?

I would say the best thing our government could do is to do nothing. They do not know how to do it right. Cut up their credit cards. Make it a law to balance the budget, punishable by a prison term if they don't.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:38 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Well, if you say it long enough, it is bound to happen one of these days if you live long enough.
Broken clock twice a day is a silly notion, IMO. Here's why:

We've only been on the petrodollar standard since 1971 when we closed the gold window. Less than 40 years later, our fiat currency system is crashing down around itself. Not a very long tenure.

Also, the problem was building since the equity bubble was forming in the 90's under Clinton/Greenspan and continued under Bush/Greenspan/Bernanke and was only being prolonged by massive Fed rate cuts. Most people with half a brain and any understanding of monetary policy could've seen the bubble slowly expanding.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Can somebody tell me if I heard this right. I probably will not get this right because when I heard it my mouth feel open from disbelief. So here is the question: Did our legislature stick a package on this bailout to give to people who want to buy cars, but otherwise would not be able to do so.
I don't know about that, but I do know that the second bailout package -- the one that passed -- had all kinds of special gifts in it. After the House voted down the first bailout package, Bush called in an army of Lobbyist who went and visited all the House Reps who voted "no". They basically made them all kinds of offers and gifts and many of them sold out on us. The second bill was basically a Christmas tree full of gifts for all the members of the House that was used to buy them off. They signed that bill out of greed.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No it is the leaders of the house that gave all the pork;bribes away to the congressman. Bush can't give them anything and the secaond bill changes were made in a congressal meeting.The usual from congress. In fact the democratic leadership could have prevented the first and then the cecomd form being voted on because they control the schedule. They don't want a bill coming up;it doesn't come up.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No it is the leaders of the house that gave all the pork;bribes away to the congressman. Bush can't give them anything and the secaond bill changes were made in a congressal meeting.The usual from congress. In fact the democratic leadership could have prevented the first and then the cecomd form being voted on because they control the schedule. They don't want a bill coming up;it doesn't come up.
You're right, the pork bribes came from the leader of the house. But the lobbyists handed out all kinds of money. They literally would say, "Now, do you have a special pet project that you need some funding for?" And then they'd give them money for that project. So those who voted yet for the bailout were basically bought and paid for.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
All that pork that got attached were old, stale bills that Congress wouldn't push through.

If you read the bill you'll see many amendments on the dates..changed from 2007 and 2008 to 2009.

The solar energy credit one was going to expire but that got tacked onto the bill and passed.
The AMT has been stuck in there for a few years now..but that got tacked onto the bill.

You put two and two together.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:04 PM

Well, the only way that I am going to survive is to find somewhere cheap to rent where I can live off the land. Otherwise, I am never going to make it. I know that I won't have enough work and the little money I have will be worth nothing. I'm trying to stock up on some essentials now, like pasta, rice, canned fish, soymilk, nuts. I'm doing my best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics