U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:06 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,723,377 times

Advertisements

Apparently safe sales have gone up by 50%. It seems some are keeping cash in their homes. I have a question. What are people thinking in that anyone can cart off a safe? They don't weigh that much. It would seem to me that the only safe kind of safe would be a floor safe under the carpet.

Still, how stupid is the concept of cashing out and keeping one's life savings in the house? Better to bury bricks of gold in the backyard? What am I missing here?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 AM

3,110 posts, read 9,950,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
They don't weigh that much. It would seem to me that the only safe kind of safe would be a floor safe under the carpet.
Plenty of gun safes weigh in excess of 500lbs empty. And my gun safe is not only much heavier than that, but also lag bolted through the studs in my house to a non-accessible area (so the only way to remove the bolts is from inside the safe), and tied to my alarm monitoring.

While I'm not pulling my cash out of my bank, IF I did it, I'd feel plenty safe with it stored with my guns and critical papers, etc.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,649,593 times
If you seriously plan to hide cash in your home, a safe is a very bad bet. I've seen them stolen numerous times. I suggest dividing into about 5-20 equal parts depending on how much you have and going to extremes to hide it. One idea is to crawl under your home and dig into the earth and burry it in a small fireproof container in multiple locations. Hiding it behind the walls of your refrigerator works too. Under cemented tile to a concrete floor, but it needs to be properly wrapped and then patched into the flush floor. Never put it in the mattress, in the walls or attic. If you have a fire, it will burn.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 AM

185 posts, read 615,172 times
One family that I house sit for, are elderly and lived through the Great Depression. She was telling me to at least have enough money set aside outside the bank to pay the land taxes. Her husband told me that his parents had a grand house with no furniture which was sold off at low prices when it hit. They just kept the basics, like mattresses/ springs with only the frames. No headboards they were sold. Dining room table/chairs and china cabinet were also sold. Kitchen table w/ chairs went in the dining room. Were here and 85 yrs. old. Oh, and don't ever put your money in a jar and stick it in the ground here in Florida.....the bills will turn white. Never tried that one but won't refute an orchard grower that made his fortune on the good earth.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,656,357 times
One thing I noticed from some banks is that they are changing their safety deposit box policies. I had a number of relatives that were getting free ones but now after the last few months got letters about annual fees if they wanted to keep them. Some of they purchased small safes instead of paying the fees. These were pretty large banks, so something like this could explain it too.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,495,578 times
I would never put cash/valuables in a bank safe deposit box.

Bank employees can open them anytime they want.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM

3,855 posts, read 12,255,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I would never put cash/valuables in a bank safe deposit box.

Bank employees can open them anytime they want.

...don't you need the second key for that?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM

357 posts, read 1,479,180 times
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
...don't you need the second key for that?
Without drilling it, yes.

And your point is....?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM

357 posts, read 1,479,180 times
Cool You could take the advice of our elected officials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Apparently safe sales have gone up by 50%. It seems some are keeping cash in their homes. I have a question. What are people thinking in that anyone can cart off a safe? They don't weigh that much. It would seem to me that the only safe kind of safe would be a floor safe under the carpet.

Still, how stupid is the concept of cashing out and keeping one's life savings in the house? Better to bury bricks of gold in the backyard? What am I missing here?
And keep it in your freezer in zip-lock bags.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 AM

3,855 posts, read 12,255,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDave View Post
Without drilling it, yes.

And your point is....?
He said the bank employees have easy access. But they only hold one key. So do they all have a drill in their desk drawers in the event that they should want to make a withdrawl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics