Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
And now, from the farmer's standpoint....

There is nothing wrong with caging chickens. A coop is also a cage - just one that you can walk into. It does not just confine the poultry, it protects them from loose dogs, foxes, hawks and/or eagles and inclement weather. There is also nothing wrong with caging a pig. It falls in the same category as a paddock for a horse. Or perhaps she wants us to let horses roam loose, too? No fences anywhere. Where does she draw the line? Pigs need to have a source of heat in the winter and a means to cool off in the summer. To ensure they get these things, the pens are a necessity.

You animal rights wackos can put the link to the PETA tape all you want but I don't buy it. I don't buy it because it is put out by PETA to begin with. I have been to slaughterhouses and none of that was going on. I believe PETA staged the whole thing to make it look like the meat industry is just an evil, wicked place. Get real! The family farmer out there is not going to be able to let their chickens run loose in coyote and bear country and make a profit because their chickens won't be able to live long enough to produce.

When money is no object, it's fine to say it would be a wonderful world to let all the animals roam free, but the reality is that not everyone has the income Oprah has and farmers in particular cannot afford to run the farm as if it were an extension of Fantasyland or Pleasure Island.
Zing! +1 for you.

We kept out chickens in a coop but let them out in the yard during the day. Really hated when the neighbors dog would come and get one....'cuz then he figured out that if he dug under the coop's chicken wire at night....he could get a LOT.

There are some sad and bitter things in this world. One is to go out to get the eggs, and there are 5 dead chickens and feathers and blood all over the place and the god**** dog didn't even eat ONE!!!

He just killed them for fun.

Stupid dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Zing! +1 for you.

We kept out chickens in a coop but let them out in the yard during the day. Really hated when the neighbors dog would come and get one....'cuz then he figured out that if he dug under the coop's chicken wire at night....he could get a LOT.

There are some sad and bitter things in this world. One is to go out to get the eggs, and there are 5 dead chickens and feathers and blood all over the place and the god**** dog didn't even eat ONE!!!

Stupid dog.
Better this than keep them in cages so small that they can't move for years at a time.

It is sad though. Maybe those underground electric fences would stop (at least repeat visits) by hunters.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:58 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Zing! +1 for you.

Stupid dog.
You miss the point, which is that many chickens and pigs are kept in cages that limit their mobility to the point where they can't move, and that's how they spend their entire lives. This is cruel and inhumane, and that's what Hobo was saying.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:08 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Better this than keep them in cages so small that they can't move for years at a time.

It is sad though. Maybe those underground electric fences would stop (at least repeat visits) by hunters.
This has gone beyond ridiculous.

It has become obvious that you have no knowledge of the subject. Have you ever even seen a chicken?

Just how long do you think a chicken used for laying eggs lives? Clue -it isn't "years at a time."

Tell me how you think an underground electric fence around a chicken area will keep hunters out. Unless the hunter has a shock collar on that is triggered by the signal from the wire buried underground, nothing will happen. Care to put shock collars on coyotes? Care to put them on raccoons? Since the chickens have no fence, how do you keep them from crossing the road?

"There's really no point in trying to talk to people with such entrentched views that they cannot see that there is another way for things to be done."

Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM

55 posts, read 141,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You're right bande1102,

Who cares where our food comes from?

For that matter, who cares where our clothes come from either. Twelves years old working away in sweatshops in some other country. Don't bother me a bit.

Americans always get what they want no matter what they have to kill, step over, blow up, or destroy to get it. As long as they get their bacon in the morning, that's all most Americans care about.

I hate to say it, but it's true. And it's all this greed and thoughtless excess that has turned us into a country of fat, broke, lazy lards.

Not a pretty sight.
Harsh, but right on the money!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:20 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
...Maybe those underground electric fences would stop (at least repeat visits) by hunters.
Haha, underground fences to stop hunters! What? lol

Or do you mean by "hunters" the coyotes and foxes? Who will put the collars on the coyotes and foxes?

Who's paying for all those batteries?

Oy, that's such a clueless comment. lol

Old 10-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

It has become obvious that you have no knowledge of the subject. Have you ever even seen a chicken?

Just how long do you think a chicken used for laying eggs lives? Clue -it isn't "years at a time."

Tell me how you think an underground electric fence around a chicken area will keep hunters out. Unless the hunter has a shock collar on that is triggered by the signal from the wire buried underground, nothing will happen. Care to put shock collars on coyotes? Care to put them on raccoons? Since the chickens have no fence, how do you keep them from crossing the road?

"There's really no point in trying to talk to people with such entrentched views that they cannot see that there is another way for things to be done."
Holy cow Harry, calm down - you are going to give yourelf a heart attack!
This is a DISCUSSION board in case you hadn't noticed and we are all allowed an opinion. Even me. If you don't like it, you know what you can do.

Forgot about the collars. Oops.

Yes I have seen a chicken. And kept them. And lived on a small farm for years growing up. Chickens provide eggs and are kept in cages for a considerable length of time. A year, two years, more? I am not sure. But we are not talking about the chickens swanning in and taking their seats for a week to provide eggs. This is ongoing, long term abuse of animals.

I'm afraid at this point we are going to have to agree to disagree, and I will continue to put my money where my mouth is and support my local farmers. Pity you don't feel likewise.

Meanwhile I suggest you take a deep breath and relax before this discussion sends you into orbit.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-16-2008 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Haha, underground fences to stop hunters! What? lol

Or do you mean by "hunters" the coyotes and foxes? Who will put the collars on the coyotes and foxes?

Who's paying for all those batteries?

Oy, that's such a clueless comment. lol
Yes it was. A clueless statement I mean.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:45 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
This thread will be closed unless you all can refrain from making personal attacks and rude comments to each other.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM

This is what is happening in the UK and Europe. I see no reason that American consumers would not have the same reaction.

Big changes for free-range hens & chickens in EU law & UK consumers demand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics