Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:30 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I briefly watched the chicken show and thought it was a great example of how completely out of touch Oprah and some of these other people really are. Although it took me a couple of minutes b/c at first I thought it was some kind of spoof show. You know, with all the things going on in this world, surely we weren't devoting air time to the rights of chickens. Anyway, I suppose once I'm done figuring out how to fund retirement, kids' college, and keep us all insured with a roof over heads, I'll take on mean chicken farmers. On second thought, I want to live in Oprah's world where chickens without space is a major concern.
When things are prosperous, then we can concentrate on giving these chickens more space. But then we have to take care of the poor farmers who might go out of business because they can't afford this. They've been doing this for years. This was not a good show to have at this point in time as we are worried about our own space. Eggs went up a lot lately, imagine if they have to re-do the farms so animals can have more room, what we will be paying for them. I bet it would be cheaper to import the eggs from Mexico, or maybe China along with their tainted dairy products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Anyone have any idea what a dozen organic eggs cost???

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Cageless chickens around here would last about one day, what with the hawks, buzzards, coyotes, feral dogs, foxes, raccoons, and so on. Chickens raised for food (broilers) live in huge open barns, where they have heat and air conditioning. It is very costly for farmers to mistreat animals to the point that they get sick or are subject to predation. Those of us who raise birds at home have to make do with chicken tractors or other protective enclosures.

There is simply no way that people who are not around farms and animals are competent at judging their care. Simple question for those who have never been around chickens - which do chickens prefer, and in which order - carrots, pears, tomatoes, squash, insects, feed, cornbread?

I've got an idea, why don't we let the poultry farmers tell O how to run her business, and make laws so that she can't ask questions her guests don't want to answer?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Anyone have any idea what a dozen organic eggs cost???
I've seen them at $4.50 at the Farmer's Markets.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow....

spending 3x the price for that?

I'll pass....

Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I can get 3 doz X Large eggs at Costco and get change at $4.50.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Organic eggs and cageless are two separate things, guys.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Here's a video on pig farming. It's really sad how these animals are kept in cages so small that they can't even turn around in them.

PETA TV: Select Your Media Preferences: James Cromwell Pig Farm Investigation

Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Organic eggs and cageless are two separate things, guys.
If prices were equal or even close, of course I'd by the eggs from cageless suppliers, but there's no shot in h*ll that I'm doing it now...regular eggs are cheap and I need to think about feeding my family first.

Why don't these cageless farmers trim their profit margins to drive demand a little more??

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Here's a video on pig farming. It's really sad how these animals are kept in cages so small that they can't even turn around in them.

PETA TV: Select Your Media Preferences: James Cromwell Pig Farm Investigation
Again, a very small percentage of the population is going to pay 10.50 for a pound of pork chops from cageless pigs...

It is sad, but I don't see things improving until costs get more in line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics