Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Or if you've read any good articles, please post the links.

I haven't seen a lot of talk about this, but I think it's interesting.

Right now, our national debt is funded by foreigners who use U.S. dollars to buy our treasury bonds.

The U.S. dollar is the world's reserve currency. The day the dollar loses its reserve currency role, the US government cannot pay its own bills in its own currency. This will really cut into our standard of living.

With the bailout adding another couple trillion to the US deficit, when do foreign countries get fed up with all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Everyone knows that the Illuminati will have gone to a one world currency by then. Gah.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
They have the Euro. I've seen articles talking about an Amero (US-Mexico-Canada) but nothing credible. This global financial crisis has seemed to point out that we are more intertwined then we'd like to be as far a currency.

I don't know how that would work out..would China workers and US workers earn the same and get paid the same ? Which standard would prevail..first world countries or third world countries ?

Old 10-15-2008, 01:40 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post

Or if you've read any good articles, please post the links.

I haven't seen a lot of talk about this, but I think it's interesting.

Right now, our national debt is funded by foreigners who use U.S. dollars to buy our treasury bonds.

The U.S. dollar is the world's reserve currency. The day the dollar loses its reserve currency role, the US government cannot pay its own bills in its own currency. This will really cut into our standard of living.

With the bailout adding another couple trillion to the US deficit, when do foreign countries get fed up with all this?
Hi Woof,

Instant currency devaluation and inflation. Its not just reserve currency or there is a reason for it, and its because its an oil/military backed currency. OPEC only accepts dollars. The only two recent ones bucking that trend was Iraq and Iran.

I found this article interesting.

The Proposed Iranian Oil Bourse | Energy Bulletin

Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
Not sure I see an alternative to the dollar. IMO, the only other viable option, the euro, is unproven and the EU has no political union to back the monetary union.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:57 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
If the world goes off the dollar standard the world's standard of living improves. Supporting the dollar is a tremendous weight that lowers other living standards. The main problem is how many derivatives out there than will evaporate because they are based on dollar valued assets. It makes me very angry that those in charge of the dollar are stealing the value of it instead of making it a solid currency that all could benefit from.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 PM

329 posts, read 1,271,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Everyone knows that the Illuminati will have gone to a one world currency by then. Gah.
he! he!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If the world goes off the dollar standard the world's standard of living improves. Supporting the dollar is a tremendous weight that lowers other living standards. The main problem is how many derivatives out there than will evaporate because they are based on dollar valued assets. It makes me very angry that those in charge of the dollar are stealing the value of it instead of making it a solid currency that all could benefit from.
How does the dollar lower other living standards? I'd be interested to know.

Woofers.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:22 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
China's yuan is pegged to the dollar--that keeps it's people mired in poverty.

Quote:
How does the dollar lower other living standards? I'd be interested to know.

Woofers.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:

The U.S. dollar is the world's reserve currency.
Was. Was the world ITC and IRC. There are now competing currencies, the Euro, Ruble, Yuan and a few smaller ones that don't really have a big impact.

"Foreigners" is a very loose term that doesn't aptly describe the situation. Countries that do heavy trade with the US will buy debt for convenience in trade transactions with the US, which of course sells its things in US Dollars.

Quote:
The day the dollar loses its reserve currency role, the US government cannot pay its own bills in its own currency. This will really cut into our standard of living.
The majority of developing nations have dumped their US Dollar reserves. Most now hold Swiss Francs, Euros and Rubles or basket currencies related to the Yuan. There's maybe 80 countries that still hold US Dollars. Russia is not one of them.

As far as your standard of living, if you seize control of Central Asia, you'll be fine, if not then about 10-15 years from now Liberia will start looking really attractive as far as jobs, pay and standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics